Freshwater Reticulated Teacup Stingray Care, Eating, Medications.

Stuntsalv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
USa
I took pictures of the water quality before every one says its overcrowded. I am going to build a new tank soon. The tank is six feet long and the wave maker just came on so I can show what it looks like when stired up. Any improvement short of a pool pump and filter. I think its good for that many fish I test often with the test strips I have no build up of waste. With the back wash I just back wash twice a week and refill it. The power head and wave maker stirs the sand. Some times I have to rake it back. For lighting I have a reef setup metal halide bulbs. One 14000k one high pressure sodium and a actinic light. Is this to much light I heard they tend to loose there colors. I was trying to prevent this. Was not sure if it was from poor nutrion or the lighting. So I wanted to cover the who spectrum. It also gets alot of natural light. Enought to grow algae without the light on. IMG_0140.JPGIMG_0147.JPGIMG_0150.JPGIMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

Stuntsalv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
USa
Thanks for the sticky advice I read all. I find that the medications listed are extreme my rays were in very poor condition when I got them and all I used was. Tea tree oil, west indian root oil and, some potasium permaganate which I dont think I saw. I also read on the water changes, they seem real dramatic as well. I am not sure if it is a sign of the times or if my system is up and coming. I think That less water changes are needed in smaller amounts when sand is stired up and blown into a good filter sytem. My turn over rate is enough to clear it up in 20 min half hour. All I do is back wash the filter and add a little water all my harmfull waste is in the filter. I am not waiting for the waste to be broken down and broken down into something else. I am collectting it in the filter and backwashing right out. So less water less changes and more importantly less stress on the fish.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Did you mean you took at picture of water CLARITY? Water quality would be breaking down the chemisty to show the levels ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH via test kits.

Maybe I missed something... but you said BACKWASHING. Do you have sand/bead filter on this thing? Or what are you doing that you are refering to as "backwashing"?

Stuntsalv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
USa
Its a canister filter set up like a pool filter. You can set it to backwash and it cleans the filter out. I under stand nitrification well. My cansiter filter is a jebao canister filter with uv sterilzer. It is a new design with back wash just like a pool filter.

Stuntsalv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
USa
It is a pond filter rated for 1500 gallons. It has a uv sterilizer in it as well. The uv light bulb is 13w. Everyone says sand is hard to clean. My system just stirs up the sand and blows it into the corners then the filter. Backwashing would be like cleaning my filter with aquarium water twice a week. So good bacteria stays. It is a multi stage filter it has two courses of foam media and bio balls. Thats is what I meant by clarity and quality.

Stuntsalv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
USa
I dont use test kits I use the test strips they now it has 5 tests on one strip. So much easyer ph,nitrate, nitrite, hardness, and alkalinity. On one test. I also test for amonia, (chlorine when adding water) and Total disolved solids meter as well.

oneyedfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
West Chester, PA
I dont use test kits I use the test strips they now it has 5 tests on one strip. So much easyer ph,nitrate, nitrite, hardness, and alkalinity. On one test. I also test for amonia, (chlorine when adding water) and Total disolved solids meter as well.
Might want to reconsider using the strips. I've never used them, but I have heard from many people on this forum and other places that the strips aren't very reliable. Just food for thought. Welcome aboard, and nice looking ray!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Stuntsalv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
USa
The test strips are great. Yes I admit they can becom compromised by humity and moisture fast. So I take one strip out and close the jar fast. Plus they dont sit around I have new test kit monthly. I have tested them against master test kits with the free water test at chain stores and they are on the money. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store