Freshwater Reticulated Teacup Stingray Care, Eating, Medications.

Stuntsalv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
USa
Def so much faster You cant test that fast and i dont know how many times I went did I put 2 drops in or 3. I usually get the 25 test strip kit For 10.99. If I feel the left over test strips are bad you can test them against a master test kit if there bad throw them out. But i Just use them to see what my water softness is really I use Peat Moss to soften the water. But that is a whole different thread. I take a platic contaniner and fill it with water then leave a peat moss sock in the water and a power head. When my water is at desirerd chemistry I by testing. Alkility ph softness ect. I take out the peat moss and put in a activated charcol net bag to remove any odor chemicls or visiual color. Peat moss is a natural way I find to soften water if it is to hard. Peat moss works like drift wood tannins or something.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Test strips are about the worst possible way to test your water chemistry. They are highly inaccurate. I'm not even a fan of most titration kits (color matching with liquid reagents). But they will give you a better result than strips.

KreatorHsd

Feeder Fish
Jan 20, 2013
New York
I use test strips all the time never had a problem. Can you please tell me the how much of inaccuracy it is. I have been reading this post and its hard to read bad speller. Can I say that? But that is all you are concerned with a $11 test kit. I have never seen any problems with them. Yes there are better ways to do every thing. Do you use the same test tubes for each test and wash out thorougly. Becuse they become contaminated fast and chemicels reagents go bad in the sun light I have seen both flawed. I go to local fish store its a $1 per test and I tested them to find out.

I like the setup that is used and want to get a stingray. I was worried set up but now I think I can handle it. I like the fact you Have a UV sterilizer. I can see from another post just how easy it is to breed germs in a tank. That filter must be new I dont see them only on web. I have a son that is allways touching everyting even his butt. Its nice to know that my tank wont go bad because of infections. I see you have alot of water turnover and a filter rated for many times the amount. I can get a reef tank at petco for under 500 I think I am going to do it. Thanks for all the advice.

Stuntsalv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
USa
Yes But I am experianced however I can control factors so ray keeping is easy for me. I am sorry about spelling I am not from this country. I have background in chemistry so I can control factors. Like if my benificial bacteia is to high because of the amount of bio ball I have in my tank starts to spike I add fresh water to or brine soultion to control them. Salt water is a medicine and can kill alot of freshwater germs as you say. But it is easy dont get me wong ray keeping can be easy with the right setup I just have to many fish so I have to watch everything.
Uv sterilizer is a must. When a 1400 gallon tank goes bad due to overgrowth of fungus bacteria or mold germs as you say. It would be very hard with out breaking down the tank and thorougly cleaning it out to get the tank to come back germ free. Total water change. Or heavy doses of medice. Which is not good for fish. Espesiccialy fish that have poor nutrituion or are sick. Most of the time medicince are save for stingrays but its that they are to far gone to be effective. THe rays to much dieing for the medice to be efective. OR the fish will get better but the organs are to damaged from bad water fungus dieses and germs as you say. The uv sterilzer will help kill any thin that is floating.
All germs are present in a tank all the time its just how to control them what the level is in the tank. Thats why ICk for example can just spring up from water getting cold.
That is why they tell you to open your blinds in your house when you have a baby. SunLight kill mold germs ects. Most important. The filter was cheap and comes with one already. That pond filter with the pump and a sump for extra water will be a key in you setup. When your tank goes bad you still have a sump filled with water. When I say sump I mean a contaner fish tank I use 55 gallon fish tank filled with media. You can put to much its all a balance how much media you need for the fish waste. The key with that system is backwashing the filter. I dont wait for the wast to be broken down it gets suck to the sides into filter and I just backwash after feeding or couple times a week. Then i fill with good water that was made. I am in a are with bad water so I have to enginere it. you might be ok.
I think tank might be to small for adult ray at petco but its a great starter tank. I think the bigest I saw there was a 125 reef. The new tank look like it have the bulkheads in the middle rather thank the side. Easyer to make a stand for it and better circulation if guess. Thank for the interest.

Stuntsalv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
USa
Its all a balance even good bateria benificial nitrifiying ones will use things in the water to live. Some germs will use minerals in water elements to live and produce chemicils or poisons. Its all a balance, so what I am trying to say is that even good bacteria will take minerals and elements from the water to live. Vitimins and minirals that the fish need to survive. Salt is a essential part of a fishes life even fish found in areas with low salinity. Its like I boy is from a country that does not have oranges. Does that mean you should not give him an orange because he can not get them where he lives. No vitamin c is essential to live and it easy to get from a orange. Same with freshwater fish, calcium, salts and other bulding blocks are essential. And sometimes they get used up by a bio load and a tank can be come sterile if you will. Uv sterilizer will help with that balance. Its all a balance one thing affects another in a tank. The more knowledge and control YOu have the better.

KreatorHsd

Feeder Fish
Jan 20, 2013
New York
No it all makes so much sense now why I have fish loss in a tank where the water was clear, and all the tests came back good. That filter looks like the way to go uv included. How often do you have to change the bulb?
I like the test strips because I can get 10 test strips for nothing and get a new fresh one whenever. The test kits with liquids are expensive no one buys them they sit on shelves I have seen them with dust on them. People alre now buying the test stips so I get a new stock test strip kit not a old stocked item. The test strips might not be as accurate (I would like to know by how much) but you can get new ones any time.

Stuntsalv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
USa
I agree a forum is more like a debate now. You have to read between the lines and use good judgment when reading posts. I post only exprience and knowledge learned not from what I searched and read in a posts or thread. If there is no one to debate what some one is saying then it must be true. I saw a comercial on tv.

"Where did you here that the internet. They dont put anything on the internet that isnt true. O heres my date he is a french model I met him on the inter net he is a french model" "AHHH bonjour" was a inssurance comercial.
There are different ways on doing things ten different mechanincs ten different ways to get the job done. Each has a different way to get the task done. Example a man in norway cant find certain medications for fish. He looks and looks. They are found in USA only. Does that mean that every one in norway who has fish. All there fish die. No it does not they have a different way of medicating a tank in norway. Whether it be old or new. There are many ways of getting from point a to b make sure you find what works for you.

krustyart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I bet the rays are annoyed:irked: that they can't do the chameleon thing with the blue sand!!!:woot:

krustyart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I use test strips all the time never had a problem. Can you please tell me the how much of inaccuracy it is.
Most of the inaccuracy with test strips comes with oxygen and humidity after the very first time you open the jar. Your very first test is probably not too far off of a valid reading but each time you open the bottle they get worse and worse.

KreatorHsd

Feeder Fish
Jan 20, 2013
New York
That was already stated I read that. I buy new ones test kits they dont sit around. What is the amount and most is not definate,to not use them at all. You could allways take them out and seal them to open few at a time.
Uv light is a must for salt water but I did not think that a wet bathing suit from a pool can make my pool grow mold. . Wow a wet bathing suit can grow mold in a 20,000 gallon pool with chlorine amazing. I would not even chance not having a uv light it. Thanks for that info I will make sure I wash my bathing suits after a vacation
Why do you use marine salt. People say to only use aquarium salt?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store