FRESHWATER STONE FISH!

fishtex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
Fort Hood, Texas
They are brackish fish, they are also very lazy fish. They sit and wait until something swims in front of them for them to eat. A large target that will eat anything that i t can swallow. In my opinion would be a very very poor choice for piranha tankmates.

romaurie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2010
Eilat
According to a pet store in Eilat on the Red Sea, the freshwater stonefish is bred in the Arava fisheries in artesian well water.This water is not just brackish but "heavily mineralised".The water is used to raise freshwater and seawater fishes for export.The water is such that no parasites can survive in it so the fish are being raised in a "parasite free" enviroment.
Now the stonefish found in the Red Sea is rated as a "class 1" venomous fish.The "Yoseftal" hospital in Eilat carries "anti-venom" for all venomous fish and a number of reptiles and insects found locally.
I went for a dive once in the small marina by the "Texas Ranch".As I entered the water I could feel something moving under my hard bottom wet suit boot.I removed my foot from the ogin to see what it was and a small stonefish was "stuck" by its dorsal spines to the boot.It dropped off while I was wondering what to do.
The "Devil Stonefish" is a really evil lttle toewrag.I have kept both in a native marine aquarium and have some video footage of them on "CVHS" tapes.I will probably sort through them and convert them to digital format.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Funny, I was just looking into these guys myself.

We had them in a petstore I worked in, and kept them for a long time (several months) with nothing but some aquarium salt added, and not too much either. Tablespoon per gallon probably. They looked healthy.

Now looking to do one again because I saw them on my wholesaler's list.

Noa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2010
Michigan
Yeah, we had one at our shop for a while and he was converted over to fw, he seemed really healthy, would swim around when the lights were off but hid mostly when they were on. He ate sinking carnivore pellets and a few live feeders when he first came in.

ssminnow81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
bklyn
they sell these at the asian supermarket by my house. 6.99 a pound im tempted to take a chance but i dont know how ill take it home.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Noa;4742734; said:
Yeah, we had one at our shop for a while and he was converted over to fw, he seemed really healthy, would swim around when the lights were off but hid mostly when they were on. He ate sinking carnivore pellets and a few live feeders when he first came in.
Too bad... he won't live out a long healthy life, forced into FW. :(

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
they look allot like sculpin... (pics of my prickly sculpin

FiSh_FanaticS

Feeder Fish
Jan 9, 2011
South Africa
HELP!! I done my research about these fish and bought one 3 days ago, my water is almost brackish, but more on the freshwater side as I read their actually brackish.

I offered him pellets, fish (live) but he doesn't seem to be interested, I dont want to bother him to much or cause any stress, but as the pet shop owner said, ''he haven't eat for a day, (this was said at the pet shop when I bought him) so he will be hungry when he's at his new home'' so this worries me, he either has to eat or he is going to die!!!! I understand that he must settle in, but this 3 days now, please help !!!

FiSh_FanaticS

Feeder Fish
Jan 9, 2011
South Africa
HELP!! I done my research about these fish and bought one 3 days ago, my water is almost brackish, but more on the freshwater side as I read their actually brackish.

I offered him pellets, fish (live) but he doesn't seem to be interested, I dont want to bother him to much or cause any stress, but as the pet shop owner said, ''he haven't eat for a day, (this was said at the pet shop when I bought him) so he will be hungry when he's at his new home'' so this worries me, he either has to eat or he is going to die!!!! I understand that he must settle in, but this 3 days now, please help !!!:1zhelp:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store