FW puffer that looks like a SW

Eläköön

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
Aşgabat Türkmenistan
ive always loved puffers, the look of the sw ones and ive kept a panda puffer before in my old marine tank. and i always like to have back up plans for my tanks, and i have a large 11" mayan cichlid in a 70gal by herself as she kills anything else. so i was thinking my backup could be a puffer maybe?

my q is. is there any sw puffers that look like marine that get a reasonable size im talking 10-15". or will i have to go marine again?

its not an urgent problem im just curious

groovitudedude

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
San Diego
Eläköön;2401170; said:
ive always loved puffers, the look of the sw ones and ive kept a panda puffer before in my old marine tank. and i always like to have back up plans for my tanks, and i have a large 11" mayan cichlid in a 70gal by herself as she kills anything else. so i was thinking my backup could be a puffer maybe?

my q is. is there any sw puffers that look like marine that get a reasonable size im talking 10-15". or will i have to go marine again?

its not an urgent problem im just curious
Don't you mean "are there any fw" puffers...

The PufferPedia is the best way to locate freshwater, brackish, and marine puffers of all types! :)
http://www.**************.com/forum/ug.php/v/PufferPedia/

Eläköön

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
Aşgabat Türkmenistan
yeah im sorry i meant FW.
ive been looking. problem is they are all either too small or too big. there dosnt seem to be any perfectly sized. is there any puffers that get 8"ish that could have maybe another tankmate?

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
I guess your answer would be no then.

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
they all look cool! including the FW specimens- I think theres one thats reddish and reaches 6'' just short of your 8'' mark

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
You mean this fella?

Punkster is the coolest! She doesn't move around much, unless she's hungry. Usually stays burried up to her eyeballs in the sand, so she really doesn't need a large tank.

Eläköön

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
Aşgabat Türkmenistan
ive been on the pufferpedia thing, and i verymuch like these
Tetraodon nigroviridis
and Ceylon puffer
they get to 6.5" for nigroviridis and 8 for ceylon apparently which is for me an acceptable size for what id like. i remember reading a few years ago that this types of puffer tolerates tankmates etc. so i was wondering in a 70galuk tank, could you have more than one of this puffer? if not what would be some good tankmates?
thanks again

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Check out the article on those guys in the Library at that site.

Eläköön

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
Aşgabat Türkmenistan
thanks, that site is amazing! best info anyone could ever want on puffers.
it says that they require full marine salt as adults so i might aswell just go marine from the start
its just ive already got 2 marine tanks lol. i was hoping for something abit different

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store