FX6 HELP 360 gallon

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
If you really don't want to replace that sand, and I don't blame you at that price, you can angle the intakes so that they are further from the sand.

Mbuloverxxt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2020
If you really don't want to replace that sand, and I don't blame you at that price, you can angle the intakes so that they are further from the sand.
Well I was debating taking a good section out of each intake pipe with a pair of pvc cutters and raise it a good 4 inches or so. Like almost to the top 1/4 ish of the tank. Not sure if that's a bad idea though? I of course do weekly or sometimes more water changes and vacuuming

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
Well I was debating taking a good section out of each intake pipe with a pair of pvc cutters and raise it a good 4 inches or so. Like almost to the top 1/4 ish of the tank. Not sure if that's a bad idea though? I of course do weekly or sometimes more water changes and vacuuming
Yeah, depending on high you raise them you might not be able to keep them running if you do a large water change. You can always shut them down before they break siphon and continue your water change and then turn them back on once the tank is filled enough.

You have a few avenues to take, let us know what you decide.

Mbuloverxxt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2020
Yeah, depending on high you raise them you might not be able to keep them running if you do a large water change. You can always shut them down before they break siphon and continue your water change and then turn them back on once the tank is filled enough.

You have a few avenues to take, let us know what you decide.
I think I'm just going to raise them a good amount. And I always shut down my filters and heaters when doing a water change. Dont want to chance killing any BB.

Reactions: FIU Panther

Castlk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2013
Long Island, New York
I have a fine filter pad in the bottom tray of my FX6 where the water passes right before it goes into the pump. This prevents anything that may have made it's way to that point from getting to the pump and causing the same issue that you just experienced.

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
My condolences go out for you and your family. If your wanting to use sand with those filters, like stated previously I would go with pool filter sand. Also raise the inputs up another 2-3 inches above the sand and point the out nozzles towards the surface.

Reactions: Mbuloverxxt

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I’ve got a bunch of this, is this what your using?

View attachment 1409562
I use this exact substrate "sand". I chosed it for the color and since it wasn't fine compared to others I've seen.

I focus my returns to how I want my water to flow and for surface agitation. I also have have a closed loop circulation for water flow. I realize that poop wont make it to the overflow and only best way is siphoning the sand.

Reactions: dr exum

Mezza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2020
Uk
Come to think of it.....what if I go bare bottom....I've never tried it before....but I've heard it's easier to keep clean....only issue is. Is I dont want to drain and flip it over to paint the bottom of the tank. Is there another idea/option if I were to go bare????
Hi you could use some tiles , kitchen wall or floor good colours available maulm tends to settle in the gaps and hovers great

Mezza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2020
Uk
Here is a couple pictures of the intakes and outtakes to maybe give you a little better of an idea of what I should do. I honestly like the look of the sand and it all costed me like 250$ to fill that tank. But I also dont want to ruin the canister. Hopefully pictures help you. I'm home from work now so if you need anything else can always ask and maybe help walk me through it if you dont mind :)

View attachment 1409627

View attachment 1409628
Hi out puts will be pushing sand into the inputs with this setup I would be inclined to close up the out taps a little I know the power of the fx6

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store