Gar and arowona

Fishtamer93

Feeder Fish
Jan 24, 2020
The gar is a bit big like twice size of arowona will it be fine to keep them together or to seperate.the tank is 90 gallon and when they do get big I will replace them to bigger tank.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Moved to General Aquaria Discussion.

If you put an arowana with a hard that is twice the size of the arowana, it's a fairly safe bet that all you're doing is giving the gar an expensive meal. As these fish grow, you will absolutely need a bigger tank. A 90 is far to small for either even in the short term, nevermind the long run.

Separate them now if you can.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I am a strong advocate of having “a bigger tank” on hand prior to starting down the road with big fish.
too often things can happen that prevent one from upgrading and hobbyist are left with oversized fish in a cramped tank.

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Gar and arowana need big tanks as is. Keeping them together in a tank means you'll need a larger one and seeing as they both occupy the top of the tank, you will need an even larger tank to accommodate the territories they will set up. Without a large tank with a lot of surface area, one will kill the other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store