Gar behavior. Strange or normal?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
ok im realy having trouble with this website. it stops responding when i try to reply. anyway 2 of my feeder fish died in 10 minutes after being in my gar enclosure. ok they are doing fine in my 10g. both tanks have the same stuff done to them as far as preporation goes. Could it be the malaysian driftwood in the gar enclosure?
And the Temp difference is?

monstersRus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2012
Earth
dont worry. i have a 9 inch alligator gar, oscars, and red tails and my gar curls up too. AND HE IS DEFENITLY NOT CRAMPED!!! it is perfectly normal. i was scared at first too.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
dont worry. i have a 9 inch alligator gar, oscars, and red tails and my gar curls up too. AND HE IS DEFENITLY NOT CRAMPED!!! it is perfectly normal. i was scared at first too.
yeah, no need to worry, because its dead!

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
Do you have powerheads providing strong current in your tank? My Florida Gar does this too and he's 11 inches in a 450 gallon tank but I have 10000 gph of current going on in there.

Oh sorry I just read through the whole thread. Sorry for your loss. I would assume its the current from the powerheads disrupting your gars swimming pattern. There's no way it would kill it. Mine is perfectly fine and eating lots even with the massive strong currents in my tank. Must be some other odd cause of death. Again sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Brian287

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2012
Kentucky
Do you have powerheads providing strong current in your tank? My Florida Gar does this too and he's 11 inches in a 450 gallon tank but I have 10000 gph of current going on in there.

Oh sorry I just read through the whole thread. Sorry for your loss. I would assume its the current from the powerheads disrupting your gars swimming pattern. There's no way it would kill it. Mine is perfectly fine and eating lots even with the massive strong currents in my tank. Must be some other odd cause of death. Again sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
thanx. Ill get it up and going again in the next couple of weeks. Would sand be a bad choice of substrate for a gar?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store