Gar Behavior

Crempog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2018
Hello MFK,

First time posting but have used MFK as a resource for quite a while. I did search but could not find an answer to this as it pertains to my setup:

My Gar (sold to me as a Florida, I believe it is a spotted) goes through periods of pretty aggressive glass surfing. Swimming top to bottom while thrashing a decent amount. He'll do this for maybe 20-30 minutes and go back to normal.

Here's the setup:

4x2x2 w/ 2 FX6, this setup running for 6/mo
Shallow sand bottom w/ 1 piece of driftwood, 2 large rocks
Circulation pump 75% from bottom and centered, rated 900gph
low to medium lighting

Stocking:
1 black aro 12"
2 Pearl rays 5-6"
1 Gar 10"

Water:
0/0/15>
2 50% w/c per week currently

I've had him for maybe 2 months and hes done this consistenly. I've not seen the aro bully him at all. He doesn't seem to mind the rays, either. That said, it's my first time keeping a gar and I'm not entirely knowledgeable about their behavior. The rays and aro are all behaving normally.

I'm really at a loss. I've rescaped to give him some space of his own, kept the water very clean, fed high quality food (he never skips a meal). As I type this, he is behaving what I would consider to be normally.

Is this a behavioral trait for gar? Do I need to make a change to the tank? Move him to another tank?

All of these guys will end up in an 8x4x2 when size permits and I'd really like to have the gar happy in this group.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Might this be begging behavior? Gars are pretty weird when begging, try giving him food next time he does this, also with a pic proper I.d is usually easy

Reactions: Crempog

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I'd say it's normal gar behavior, it could even be normal human behavior, lol. My 2 spotted gars do the same thing too even though they're in a 1100 gallon stock tank by themselves.

Crempog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2018
Might this be begging behavior? Gars are pretty weird when begging, try giving him food next time he does this, also with a pic proper I.d is usually easy
He won't take food when he's in this mode, despite by best efforts.
I'd say it's normal gar behavior, it could even be normal human behavior, lol. My 2 spotted gars do the same thing too even though they're in a 1100 gallon stock tank by themselves.
I appreciate it. I'm hoping it is normal gar behavior.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store