GE clear silicone II Mold Free Safe or Not?

koizilla714

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2016
Planet Earth
Okay, So i recently used this silicone to attach some slate stone decor for my tank and my sump baffles. I have searched and got confused as some people say it's safe and some not. So what's the accurate answer? It's been 1 week since i added the decors and sump to my 125 gallon tank and see no negative effects on my fishes, or it will take some time? And what will be the signs/symptoms of silicone poisoning? I hope i can get accurate and direct answers ASAP so i can prevent my fishies dying. Thank you

View attachment 1168871

6f6b9fa2-1d61-4278-af0a-98c22bca3758_1000.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Okay, So i recently used this silicone to attach some slate stone decor for my tank and my sump baffles. I have searched and got confused as some people say it's safe and some not. So what's the accurate answer? It's been 1 week since i added the decors and sump to my 125 gallon tank and see no negative effects on my fishes, or it will take some time? And what will be the signs/symptoms of silicone poisoning? I hope i can get accurate and direct answers ASAP so i can prevent my fishies dying. Thank you

View attachment 1168871

View attachment 1168873
100% silicone safe, I personally sealed to aquariums with GE1. If no mold inhibitors are not added, and you let it cure.

Last edited:

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
I have read that it is fine based on a fairly detailed article regarding the msds. I just used GE1 All Purpose without mold free. I realized afterwards that it says not for aquariums... but I only used it secure the glass center brace, so it's not submerged. I would buy something else online like RTV 108 if I was resealing the entire aquarium. Clean it WELL and let it cure for at least a week. The cure times are actually for pretty small beads in most cases.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
There's no definitive answer to whether GE2 is safe or not. Even with GE1, the manufacturer will not recommend for aquarium use....most likely for liability issues.

While it may appears to have no effect on your fish at the moment, there's really no telling if there is a health hazard in the long term. Kind of like living in a mold infested house, to which you are oblivious to.

koizilla714

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2016
Planet Earth
There's no definitive answer to whether GE2 is safe or not. Even with GE1, the manufacturer will not recommend for aquarium use....most likely for liability issues.

While it may appears to have no effect on your fish at the moment, there's really no telling if there is a health hazard in the long term. Kind of like living in a mold infested house, to which you are oblivious to.
Do you think i should take the stuff with the GE II 100% silicone out of my tank? Or just leave and observe it what it does to my fish?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Do you think i should take the stuff with the GE II 100% silicone out of my tank? Or just leave and observe it what it does to my fish?
Its your call, but it comes down to how much you care about those fish honestly.

Reactions: Danh

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

I personally would take it out, and redo everything. Sorry for the late reply was getting ready for work.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally would take it out, and redo everything. Sorry for the late reply was getting ready for work.
Btw Xraycer is correct about the liability of GE as for the aquarium use. The 2 aquariums I sealed have been up and running now going on 3yrs with out any issues. I also have inhabitants that have been in during this time.:)

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
GEII is available both with and without biocide mold/fungus inhibitors. Rule of thumb is to avoid using any silicone containing biocide, including tubes stating they're 100% silicone. The industry allowance for labeling allows 99.98% silicone to be labeled as 100%. The 0.02% biocide is a long lasting anti-fungal that can remain active for up to 10 years.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store