Geophagus Tapajos Territorial

Conrod

Feeder Fish
Jul 8, 2022
Adelaide
Hey all, I’ve got 4 juvenile red horse faces in a 55 gallon tank at the moment, 3 of them are generally okay but the largest is quite aggressive and territorial usually leading to the others having to share a small side of the tank.
does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations as to what i can do

thank you

Reactions: tlindsey

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Hey all, I’ve got 4 juvenile red horse faces in a 55 gallon tank at the moment, 3 of them are generally okay but the largest is quite aggressive and territorial usually leading to the others having to share a small side of the tank.
does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations as to what i can do

thank you
My steindachneri were the same way, I put the dominant one on time out for a couple days and that seemed to fix it. Make sure you have enough territories and things to break up lines of sight

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
You don't say how big they are, but on average they'd do better in a bigger tank and in a bigger group. Group size isn't a hard and fast rule, sometimes fewer works (though 5 is better than 4), but usually 6 is a good minimum group number. It can also help if another fish is the dominant fish in the tank, but a 55 gal doesn't give much wiggle room there, unless they're small yet and you have a larger tank lined up for them to go into before long. In any case, a 55 is ultimately too small for the species.

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Get a bigger tank.
Agre
You may think aussie'mans statement is a trifle facetious, or an overstatement but......
Even though they are just juvies, the alpha is telling you the tank is too small for thie group of fish.
Your tank is about the same size as a truck tires rut in the road, not the kind of space you'd ever find Geophagus in.
Whenever an aquarist experiences cichlid aggression in a tank, its the fish explaining the space is not adequate.
I have found 6 ft tanks are usually minimum for Geophagines, although some like Acarichthys need even larger tanks.
I have used a 55 as a grow out tank, but usually move them to a larger tank at 2.5-3", but....
One other factor in Geophagine aggression to consider, is current.
In nature they prefer areas in rivers with riffles, and even rapids
Geos prefer at least medium to strong laminar flow, across the length of a tank.
If they have current to work against, it seems to temper aggression.
Beside normal filtration water movement, I usually place a power head ( wave maker) pushing strong flow across length of the tank to offer some riverine type flow.
73C7B73A-ADD5-456F-9623-964823051D57_1_201_a.jpeg
467EE6A6-CD09-4143-AFE2-989C8275ABE6_1_201_a.jpeg
Above a power head I add to normal file effluent in riverine cichlid tanks.
Below the normal filter effluent discharge flow.
BE37698C-E64B-45C8-A5E5-64412368BA18_1_201_a.jpeg
Below a shot I took in the normal flow of a section of river in Colombia where Geophagus steindachneri is found.
69B7F8F9-BE73-435B-8FBE-1319BBCF1FD8_1_105_c.jpeg
I have kept at least 10 species of Geophines over decades, and never found one, that didn't do best in at least 6 ft tanks, without what many aquarists would consider "too much" flow.
And agree with neutrino, large shoals are very important to the dynamic of how they interact, peacefully, or not.
But in a rank as small as a 55 ........

Last edited:

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
...Also, some lfs give fish goofy and incorrect names, but 'red horse face' is a confused mashup of names, especially if you apply them to Geo tapajos. Geophagus tapajos red heads are not "horse face" geos. "Horse face" are what some people call some Satanoperca species, like jurupari. "Red horse face" are what some people call what they think are surinamensis, except there are exceedingly few actual surinamensis in the hobby, so they've got that wrong also.

Reactions: aussieman57

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
...The fish that most have something resembling a horse face are Satanoperca-- Retroculus a little, a few Geophagus a little bit, maybe, and only to the extent they resemble Satanoperca a little, but they're not the common geo species and most of them don't at all:

Last edited:
Reactions: aussieman57
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store