Geophagus

Pudmuppy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
Hi hi!

I'm very interested in getting into geophagus, however the more I read, the more I am coming across threads that say they can be quite skittish, particularly red head tapajos? I am looking for a species for my 75 gallon display tank in my livingroom - the room has a decent amount of traffic, but not too close to the tank, however in the evenings there will be a lot more action as it is behind my sofa and perfect for fishwatching.

I was thinking of tapajos as they stay a little smaller, but I also have guianacara and gymnogeophagus balzanii on the list, and my favourite winemilleri -( I know the tank is a little small for a group of these guys longterm)

Any thoughts on some of them seeming overly skittish? Down to lighting and shadows? Would being fed small meals and frequently, and exposed to a lot of traffic from a young age help?

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have found when kept in large enough groups accompanied by dither fish such as tetras, Geo's are not so easily spooked. As a pair, or single individual, they seem not quite as comfortable.
The health of the type species you keep may be dependent of the tap water type you have.
If your water is hard, or mineral rich Geophagus from west of the Andes, or Gymnogeophagus from more southern South America might be more apropos.
If your water is soft, and mineral poor the more northerly species like tapajos would do well.
My water (when in the states) was high-ish pH, and mineral rich so the Gymnos did well, and remained small enough for a 75 gal tank.

Gymnogeophagus sp. "Yerbalito" above
sp Paso Pache below

Balzani "Bella Union" from Uruguay below

all did well in harems of 1 male and a few females.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I must say I have never found any of my geos particularly skittish. That said I've always kept them in groups in tanks over 200 gallons.
Personally I think 75gallons is a bit tight for most geophagus, especially when keeping a group.
If you like geos but are a bit tight on space I would look more to species like microgeophagus and biotadoma. Both could do well in same species groups in 75 gallons and are great fish to keep.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Hi hi!

I'm very interested in getting into geophagus, however the more I read, the more I am coming across threads that say they can be quite skittish, particularly red head tapajos? I am looking for a species for my 75 gallon display tank in my livingroom - the room has a decent amount of traffic, but not too close to the tank, however in the evenings there will be a lot more action as it is behind my sofa and perfect for fishwatching.

I was thinking of tapajos as they stay a little smaller, but I also have guianacara and gymnogeophagus balzanii on the list, and my favourite winemilleri -( I know the tank is a little small for a group of these guys longterm)

Any thoughts on some of them seeming overly skittish? Down to lighting and shadows? Would being fed small meals and frequently, and exposed to a lot of traffic from a young age help?

Thanks everyone!
All the tapajos ive seen and have are not skittish. They are quite calm and very out going. Actually all of the more commonly available ones seem pretty calm for the most part. I'd get the tapajos if it were me, or like Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 said a group of Thoricthys( just not the common ones bleh).

Pudmuppy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
Op have you considered central american eartheater like thorichthys? They are outgoing attractive fish, do well in groups and are more suited to a 75 gallon than most geophagus species.
Just a thought.
Here are some I had.
View attachment 1387144
Hi Stanzzzz7, thanks for your update - I have indeed been wondering about thorichthys, we chatted about it briefly on my other thread, but I had swung strongly towards geophagus because felt they would be more compatable with my angels in terms of water parameters, but I do really like the thorichthys!

I had been reading and saw a few people keeping geos, including winemilleri in a 75 and had thought it would work, if a little tight, but on looking at the tank (I have only had it set up a day, I am still new to such a large tank!) that indeed, it isn't as spacious for a group of large fish as I had thought and naturally, I want the fish to have a good life.

What are people's thoughts on guianacara in a 75? They seem a little more agreeable, although chunky beasts, and are probably my favourite.

I will return to my research and have a look at thorichthys a bit closer, and also the microgeos, cupids and also the gymnogeos, especially balzanii - which had also been on my list as they look a lot of fun!

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Hi Stanzzzz7, thanks for your update - I have indeed been wondering about thorichthys, we chatted about it briefly on my other thread, but I had swung strongly towards geophagus because felt they would be more compatable with my angels in terms of water parameters, but I do really like the thorichthys!

I had been reading and saw a few people keeping geos, including winemilleri in a 75 and had thought it would work, if a little tight, but on looking at the tank (I have only had it set up a day, I am still new to such a large tank!) that indeed, it isn't as spacious for a group of large fish as I had thought and naturally, I want the fish to have a good life.

What are people's thoughts on guianacara in a 75? They seem a little more agreeable, although chunky beasts, and are probably my favourite.

I will return to my research and have a look at thorichthys a bit closer, and also the microgeos, cupids and also the gymnogeos, especially balzanii - which had also been on my list as they look a lot of fun!
I had forgotten we chatted before and I also forgot about the angels. Sorry I have a brain like a sieve.
Yes I wouldn't advise thorichthys with angels.
Microgeophagus are a nice fish to keep especially in groups, very entertaining and do great with angels.
I've never kept balzani but agree they look great.
I guess red heads are your best bet for a geo as they are one of the smallest and you may just get away with it in a 75.

Reactions: Pudmuppy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store