Geophagus

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you plan to keep Geo's with angels, the Gymos may not perfect be partners, because Gymnos come from more southern (sub tropical) parts of the continent, which are cooler.
Many need a winter cool down that could stress the angels. Balzani are the northern most Gymnos and might work, but mine were Uruguayan, so I did not use a heater (just room temp) which sometimes dropped below angel temps.

The pic above is from one of my Uruguayan fry tanks with Australoheros species.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I raised and bred red head Tapajos geos for several years... come to think of it, they're still my avatar. For me they weren't skittish at all and among the tanks I kept them in was a 75, both as juvie groups growing out and adults. As far as comfortable in groups, I find with a number of geos, including red heads, it doesn't matter as much as adults-- especially a pair can be content as the only geos in a tank of compatible fish ime.

Red head geos ime are also quite tolerant of pH higher than some other eartheater types, such as guianacara, can handle. That said, I wouldn't personally keep them over 8-ish. Even 8, which they can handle, may shorten their lifespans a bit.

Pudmuppy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
If you plan to keep Geo's with angels, the Gymos may not perfect be partners, because Gymnos come from more southern (sub tropical) parts of the continent, which are cooler.
Many need a winter cool down that could stress the angels. Balzani are the northern most Gymnos and might work, but mine were Uruguayan, so I did not use a heater (just room temp) which sometimes dropped below angel temps.

The pic above is from one of my Uruguayan fry tanks with Australoheros species.
Totally, if I went for the gymnogeo I would probably remove them into a temp tank in an interested room for a couple of months to mimic the cool down- I even wonder about experimenting with them in with my more sturdy fancy goldfish for a holiday as well... Might be too much of a mix though!

Pudmuppy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
So, typically I decided I wanted to keep guianacara and now I can't source any either online or through my kids! Such is how it goes! Will keep looking and add a request on the site here too

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Totally, if I went for the gymnogeo I would probably remove them into a temp tank in an interested room for a couple of months to mimic the cool down- I even wonder about experimenting with them in with my more sturdy fancy goldfish for a holiday as well... Might be too much of a mix though!
I kept Gymogeophagus and other Uruguayan cichlids, with koi, and goldfish without problems.
I over wintered some of them in my unheated basement in kiddy pools in winter.

Balzani couldn't take quite the temp drop that their more southerly cousins like Yerbaito, Paso Pache, or Uruguayan Australoheros could.
The balzani did well if water temps dropped into the 60sF, but other more southern species could easily take drops into the low 50sF

Pudmuppy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
Hi everyone! Thanks for all your help, I am still undecided which way to go, all options are great. With the gymnogeos - how long do people tend to give them their winter drop? Would a month be reasonable, or is more like 3 months? I am also wondering about skipping the angelfish and trying thorichthys instead - although I do have one small angel at the moment who may have a trial run with them. As I say, still undecided! Tank still cycling, being cruel and indecisive ;) I was particularly trying to get guianacara, but they seem hard to find right now - there was someone selling on aquabid recently but they have not posted in a while.

Can anyone recommend any other ideas for interesting species that would do well in a 70, that display well in a group? I am very interested in groups rather than singles

Pudmuppy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
Forgot to add, must it be a cichlid species or are you open to other ideas?
I was contemplating trying them with my solo angel however I'm not sure I would want to risk her as I'm rather attached! Is the major issue with mixing centrals and sa the pH/hardness?

I'm open to any ideas! I've also been contemplating rainbows and larger Barb's. I'm mostly interested in interesting group behavior but not frantic and aggressive such as Africans. My only restrictions at this point is that it is an open tank (but I may get a cover esp if I went for rainbows)

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
If you like groups of fish and wish to keep the angel, the n more angels might be an idea with a harem of apistogramma, or a group of microgeophagus, plus a school of high bodies tetra such as the ornate tetra.

Even with the peaceful cichlids there is never a guarantee of no aggressive behaviour. I think you might get away adding 3 more angels and a group of s/a dwarf cichlids.
Water chemistry can be an issue but generally c/a cichlids are just a lot more aggressive then the majority of s/a cichlids.

Reactions: Zanzag
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store