Geophagus

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Angel's, something like Bolivian rams, and a big school of mid sized high-bodied tetra would be the ticket. Something big tetra wise like a black skirt or columbian red-blue may look disproportionate with the dwarf cichlids

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Angel's, something like Bolivian rams, and a big school of mid sized high-bodied tetra would be the ticket. Something big tetra wise like a black skirt or columbian red-blue may look disproportionate with the dwarf cichlids
I agree about the tetra proportions. I said ornate as they are the smallest higher bodied tetras I could think of.
Angels will eat most tetras that fit dwarf cichlid scale wise.

Reactions: Zanzag

Icecold Dan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 10, 2018
Earth
So, typically I decided I wanted to keep guianacara and now I can't source any either online or through my kids! Such is how it goes! Will keep looking and add a request on the site here too
I've been looking for Guianacara for over a year now, specifically Owroewefi. I think most come from Guyana and Suriname, which according to Rapps there is virtually no US exporters working there currently, especially Suriname.

Pudmuppy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
Thanks everyone! Some really great ideas - I still think the best way for me to proceed is to get at least 3 120 gallon tanks. Thinking of starting up the Texas lotto.... ;)

Another mildly random question - what size do Geo Sveni actually get to on average? These guys are one of my favourites and I have just been offered the chance to purchase some, however I had dismissed them as getting far too big - however, I am seeing a lot of internet listings that in general they only hit 6.5 inches? I don't quite believe that as I have seen large listed at 9" but the fact I keep finding that size or thereabout listed, makes me doubt - is 9" a rare occurrence? Geos are without a doubt my favourite so they are still very up for consideration....

Last edited:
Reactions: decoy50

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I'm interested in hearing what folks that have kept them have to say too. The searches I've run, have them hitting anywhere from 6.5-12. That much of a discrepancy doesn't help too much. I'm wondering if that high end includes the long trailers their fins get

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
There are two locations of sveni. One is larger growing than the other, hence the confusion I’m sure. I still would not try a group in a 4 foot tank. 6” doesn’t sound like a lot but you have to consider it’s multiple fish at 6”.

Reactions: tlindsey

Pudmuppy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
As an update, on hanging around various geophagus groups, I haven't seen any of the smaller adult sveni, they all seem to consistently grow larger - some of them huge! Perhaps one day, when I get my 120.....

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store