Getting pikes onto pellets

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Anyone have a technique that's worked for them before? Mines eating bloodworms no problem, but it would be nice to mix it up a bit sometimes. What works?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Soak floating pellets in bloodworm juice until soft. It helps if there are other fish that eat the pellets. Don't use sinking pellets as it will turn to mush. I've had great success with Hikari bio-gold (NLS float did not exist back then). Make sure to use a smaller size pellet than what they can take into their mouth.

I currently use New Era Discus or South American with my ~11" Atabapo red lugubris. It's a soft pellet that does not require soaking.

Last edited:

juddb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
washington
If there are other fish taking pellets in the tank they will catch on, it takes time. I'm having success with massivore delight and nls, both of my cr. anthurus would only accept bloodworms just a month ago.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Thanks for the replies everyone. It is still in qt, so hopefully when it is with other fish it will get the picture. If that doesn't work I've got other things to try

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Put An Oscar IN With It and problem solved.
pfff, it would have to be a small Oscar or my little pike would get eaten like spaghetti. he is in with some hungry guianarcara now, hopefully that will inspire him.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I didn't have any luck trying to feed pellets to my pike. I would starve it for 2 weeks max and she would not budge. I did however get her to eat frozen silversides. Hopefully she'll eat pellets. GL

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I didn't have any luck trying to feed pellets to my pike. I would starve it for 2 weeks max and she would not budge. I did however get her to eat frozen silversides. Hopefully she'll eat pellets. GL
hopefully mine will move onto pellets, I like to feed frozen foods regularily anyways, so i'm not worried but it would definitely be easier and the little guy wont go hungry when I cant make it to the store when I run out. I always have pellets on hand, but frozen food runs out all the time for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store