Ghost knife help

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
So I usually answer most of my own questions, however, this is something that I haven't come across before.

I used to have a freshwater Moray or, Gymnothorax tile. I know they are more brackish water, however, i've had no issues with it until recent. Unfortunately, I didn't lose it and I think it's because I wasn't paying attention to the salt content in the water. However, whatever the eel had transferred to my black ghost knife.

Attached is a picture of the ghost knife, sorry that it's a little blurry and not a great picture. However, my typical methods are not taking effect it's in a 120 gallon tank with a few other fish, I just tested the water, low nitrate and nitrite, there is a little bit of ammonia.

Test
Ammonia-. 25ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 5.0ppm
Salinity- 1.003
Photo 6.8

Normally, when I have issues like this, I do high temp. And salt, that's been my go to for a lot of things. I know it's not the cure all. But i've had great luck doing it now, I don't know what to do. I don't want to throw medications into the tank. You have other fish in the tank that I don't know how it's going to affect gold sharks, Bella sharks and other knives, I also know I'm going to be upgrading the tank here shortly, but I want to get this taken care of any suggestions.

I also have been doing 25 percent water changes, thinking that that may help thinking it's an ammonia issue, but sometimes it works, sometimes he looks better, I don't know.IMG_20180919_203301655.jpg IMG_20180919_203248302.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I usually answer most of my own questions, however, this is something that I haven't come across before.

I used to have a freshwater Moray or, Gymnothorax tile. I know they are more brackish water, however, i've had no issues with it until recent. Unfortunately, I didn't lose it and I think it's because I wasn't paying attention to the salt content in the water. However, whatever the eel had transferred to my black ghost knife.

Attached is a picture of the ghost knife, sorry that it's a little blurry and not a great picture. However, my typical methods are not taking effect it's in a 120 gallon tank with a few other fish, I just tested the water, low nitrate and nitrite, there is a little bit of ammonia.

Test
Ammonia-. 25ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 5.0ppm
Salinity- 1.003
Photo 6.8

Normally, when I have issues like this, I do high temp. And salt, that's been my go to for a lot of things. I know it's not the cure all. But i've had great luck doing it now, I don't know what to do. I don't want to throw medications into the tank. You have other fish in the tank that I don't know how it's going to affect gold sharks, Bella sharks and other knives, I also know I'm going to be upgrading the tank here shortly, but I want to get this taken care of any suggestions.

I also have been doing 25 percent water changes, thinking that that may help thinking it's an ammonia issue, but sometimes it works, sometimes he looks better, I don't know.View attachment 1335889 View attachment 1335890

How long you had the BGK in Brakish water? The BGK is scaleless and most don't do well with salt added to the water. Imo it looks like either it's losing its slime coat or a bacterial issue but not sure. I would seperate asap and keep water in pristine condition.

Reactions: kno4te

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How long you had the BGK in Brakish water? The BGK is scaleless and most don't do well with salt added to the water. Imo it looks like either it's losing its slime coat or a bacterial issue but not sure. I would seperate asap and keep water in pristine condition.
kno4te kno4te

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
Ghost knifes over 3 years old. Like I said the Salinity is 1.003. Just enough salt to register on the hydrometer. I use my refractometer now which is more accurate. In my experience knifes have done better with a little salt added. My last ghost knife I had for 9 years. Unfortunately it died because I had a power outage and I couldn't get the tanks running in time before the cold of winter cooled the house down and I couldn't get any battery operated bubbles.

Would you suggest any meds? Because of them scaleless, I know some meds are terrible. High amounts of copper is one. Unless I'm wrong?

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I would do a 80% water change with dechlorinated water ASAP. Give it a place to hide out. Can’t tell but can u get some close up pics? What’s ur filtration?

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
I started the water changes, yesterday. I have done 3, 25percent. I'm actually doing another now. I haven't added anymore salt since 2 weeks ago so I will test the salinity in a sec. As far as hiding places, I haven't touched anything in the tank it still has all of its hiding spots. Should I do a 80 percent change at once with knifes? I have never had luck with that. I do have a caporo knife in the tank with it, much smaller. Doesn't seem to be having any issues. Just this one.

I thought about taking it out of the tank and medication. Would that be best since none of the other fish are having issues? Or is this like ick? I will post a closer picture in 5 min. Give me time to get one without distribing it.

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York

I added a link to the video I just took. Sorry again it's short however it acts like it's trying to rub off the slime stuff. Acting like it has ick.

I'm not doing anything else until I hear from you guys with everything I put out.

Also. I just retested the salinity. 1.001. Just able to read salt. By the way for everyone to know the plants I have on the tank, Amazon sword and other swords are doing great even with the little bit of salt. Kinda through them in last year to try it and they are doing great surprisingly.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
i had similar issues of fishes shedding slime and when i checked my PH went from 7+ to about 5 in 3-4 days.... i added coral chips as buffer and i never encountered the same problem again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store