Giant Gourami w/ 2 Kissing Gourami & 1 Fire Eel?

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Hello,

I'm planning far ahead for a monster tank I'd like to set up in the next year or so. My intention for the tank (300+g) is to house a Giant Gourami (I love the size of those things).

I currently have a Fire Eel (6-7 inch) and two Kissing Gourami (juvies) in other tanks. Those three will likely be ready for a larger tank around the same time I'll be getting the Giant Gourami.

Would all three be able to live together in a single tank (300+ gallons)?

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
The key here is raise everything together when they are all young, giant gourami is peaceful most of the time but its behave toward tank mates is changeable. If you stick to your plan with those listed fishes then you would be fine with 300+ gallons tank.

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
The key here is raise everything together when they are all young, giant gourami is peaceful most of the time but its behave toward tank mates is changeable. If you stick to your plan with those listed fishes then you would be fine with 300+ gallons tank.
Thank you Yuki. In this situation the Giant Gourami will be raised with the Fire Eel and Kissing Gourami. However the eel and kissing gourami will themselves be a couple years old at that point. Knowing that do you still think it would be OK?

It sounds like it would, since you're suggesting the Giant Gourami is the one who is changeable. But thought I'd clarify.

Thank you!

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Thank you Yuki. In this situation the Giant Gourami will be raised with the Fire Eel and Kissing Gourami. However the eel and kissing gourami will themselves be a couple years old at that point. Knowing that do you still think it would be OK?

It sounds like it would, since you're suggesting the Giant Gourami is the one who is changeable. But thought I'd clarify.

Thank you!
The younger of the giant being raise with its tank mate the better change it will leave them alone when it's gain its size and become the biggest one in your tank.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
My giant gourami was first put in a 150g along with loads of other juvenile species. They were all between 2-4". They were all put in together and lived together with no issues at all......until i put a pink tailed chalceus in and my gourami destroyed it within 2 hrs. I took out the chalceus which could barely swim and my gourami went back to her peaceful self. I've heard loads of similar stories with GG, they rarely tolerate new additions. I suspect yours will behave as long as it's used to your other fish. PS...the chalceus made a full recovery and is now about 8", in a different tank of course, haha.

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
The only one I'd worry about is the GG, mine was only around 10" and it was evil.. Chased everything around the tank constantly, some of my fish were trying to jump out of the tank at night because of it so I got rid of it.

Reactions: xraycer

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
My giant gourami was first put in a 150g along with loads of other juvenile species. They were all between 2-4". They were all put in together and lived together with no issues at all......until i put a pink tailed chalceus in and my gourami destroyed it within 2 hrs. I took out the chalceus which could barely swim and my gourami went back to her peaceful self. I've heard loads of similar stories with GG, they rarely tolerate new additions. I suspect yours will behave as long as it's used to your other fish. PS...the chalceus made a full recovery and is now about 8", in a different tank of course, haha.
Yep, like I told the OP the key is "raise them all together as young as possible" :) any new fishes adding after the GG established in its tank = it will kill new tank mate or die trying.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Mine grew up with tank mates and do not do well with them.
From the different posts I've read, it is a gamble. It may work, it may not work. It all depends on the personality of your fish.

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH

Like this one. This is a video where they moved an obviously cramped giant gourami from its 275 gallon tank that is replaced with a 900 gallon tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store