GIANT gouramis

Naos1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2012
Pasig, Philippines
Hello guys! It's been 4 years before I can go back to fishkeeping and specially a giant gourami. Can you like before, suggest a name for him? He's close to 22". Original owner said he is 3 years old. He's just been with me for less than a week now. Eats very well and generally healthy. I have put him in a 360 gallon 8'x3'x2' tank with a community of geophagus species. I'm still looking for 2 even larger GG's. That is, if I can even find more.

IMG_8534.JPG

IMG_8535.JPG

IMG_8536.JPG

IMG_8537.JPG

IMG_8538.JPG

knighttimeninja

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2012
Scotland
I
I think it would be constant battle in first week. Make sure the male is healthy. They'll tolerate each other in two weeks
I had a male and a female (similar size) and while they did settle down they still faught. Sadly the the female ened up dying after a fight a year later. At the same time I had a much smaller male which would get chased if it got in the bigger males way. So i wouldnt recommend keeping them together but if you do make sure there are plenty of places to hide. A few 10 inch pipes worked for me.

Reactions: Naos1984

Naos1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2012
Pasig, Philippines
I had a male and a female (similar size) and while they did settle down they still faught. Sadly the the female ened up dying after a fight a year later. At the same time I had a much smaller male which would get chased if it got in the bigger males way. So i wouldnt recommend keeping them together but if you do make sure there are plenty of places to hide. A few 10 inch pipes worked for me.
Ended up not getting a second one. It still crosses my mind that it would have been great to see two giant gouramies playfully swimming but I love my current gg too much to take that risk. I am still waiting for a private message telling me of an even larger gg but I'm not that excited anymore. Maybe I'll turn it down or I'll get another 300+ gallon if I ever get this next gg.

Teese

Feeder Fish
Sep 7, 2017
Hi all :)

I have been lurking for years (since @ the time Lou started giving great “how to advice” on pics.)

Been looking for a GG I could not walk away from at our LFSs…. A week ago I went into one of my favorite shops, they carry arowana, big cats, flowerhorns etc. I actually went in looking for a crown pearl goldfish for my 60USG. walked by a tank and stopped in my tracks.. RTGs!!! 5 in the tank just gorgeous red and almost black– they were beating one up so I got a worker and he moved it to another tank – I took pics, asked if they would hold him so I didn’t waste $ on a half dead fish and went back 3 days later – fish looked a lot better and home s/he went!

S/he is little. @3in. The scale damage is getting better and the tail is looking a lot better. S/he is eating – currently on Hakari pellets. Lettuce freaked her out so will try to reintroduce it later along with other things (but not cheese wiz >.<)

Currently in 10USG tank with hanging filter – quarantine tank for 30days.

From there, s/he will go to the 60USG – have 2 different filter options in the “fish closet” and powerheads.
or
the 110USG wide.
The only other critters in the tank are the ghost knife @11in and an old upside down catfish (a Synodontis) who spend most of their existence in their tubes. She can grow out there before going to the big tank downstairs. – funny how motivated I got to clean out the old game room when I could get a BIG tank :D

Anyways – hello!

~Teese

Reactions: J. H. and Naos1984

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
No chance, another bottom dweller or a schooling bottom dweller would work

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
My big gir(who's a guy) I didn't name her, lives peacefully with a tribe of silver dollars

KNMG

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2006
Tacoma
My current Giant Gourami setup. Arowana and Oscars are gone. Have a Redtail Gourami as well now. Have a question for those who have multiple Giants and aggression. My Golden decided to start picking on the grey about 2 months ago. That lasted a couple weeks and it has been nice and peaceful. Now out of nowhere "Frosty" the gold trouble maker has started picking on the grey again. Any experience with this and a possible solution? Really don't want to get rid of anybody.

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store