Going a bit crazy on the lures

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I have a pretty small tackle box. I originally wanted it to just be 3 lures in each of the following categories:
- swimbaits
- jerkbaits
- jigs
- squarebills
- lipless cranks
- frogs
- hard topwaters
And it was on that path for awhile, the box consisted of

swimbaits:
- savage gear 4d line thru trout, dark
- savage gear 3d baitfish, hitch
- catchco baby bull shad, rainbow trout

jerkbaits
- megabass vision 110 jr, wagin hasu

jigs
- custom grass jig I made myself in a like green pumpkin/sunfish color
- custom black and white finesse jig on a ball head

squarebills
- lucky craft silent 50, magma peacock
- 13 fishing jabber jaw, old gregg

lipless cranks
- biospawn rattlebot craw, mud money

frogs
- spro bronzeye pop 60, misty shad
- spro bronzeye 65, white black

hard topwaters
- megabass pop max, black orochi
- greenfish tackle hammerhead buzzbait, black on black

But then I wanted more, and I said to myself that I'd bump it up to 4 lures for each category. I did not stick to this plan. Now it's

swimbaits:
- savage gear 4d line thru trout, dark
- savage gear 3d baitfish, hitch
- catchco baby bull shad, rainbow trout
- savage gear 3d pulse tail RTF bluegill, tilapia
- megabass sleeper gill, cichlid
- savage gear structure gill, bream
- berkley powerbait gilly, HD warmouth
- keitech swing impact fat 2.8", TW green pumpkin/watermelon

jerkbaits
- megabass vision 110 jr, wagin hasu

jigs
- custom grass jig I made myself in a like green pumpkin/sunfish color (savage gear 4D craw 3", black and blue as trailer)
- custom black and white finesse jig on a ball head (savage gear 4D craw 3", black and blue as trailer)

squarebills
- lucky craft silent 50, magma peacock
- 13 fishing jabber jaw, old gregg
- 6th sense crush 50, 4k craw
- 6th sense crush 50, spring bluegill
- 6th sense crush 50, pumpkinseed (more of a fun thing, i got it cuz it looks like a red texas lol)

lipless cranks
- biospawn rattlebot craw, mud money
- yo zuri rattlin vibe 2.25, black silver
- yo zuri 3DS vibe, holographic tennessee shad

"frogs"
- spro bronzeye pop 60, misty shad
- spro bronzeye 65, white black
- livetarget field mouse 60T, grey white
- livetarget frog 45T, emerald red
- livetarget frog 55T, green brown
- spro bronzeye jr 60, outback
- lunkerhunt pocket frog, green tea

hard topwaters
- megabass pop max, black orochi
- greenfish tackle hammerhead buzzbait, black on black
- 6th sense speed wake, american shad

And then I'm about to get;
- lunkerhunt pocket frog, poison
- chasebaits the smuggler 2.5", budgie (do not look for this lure on amazon you will not get fishing stuff)
- megabass (one of their shallow diving jerkbaits), kasumi ito (not sure which lure it will come in but it is a very hard yet rewarding color to find)
- megabass vision 110, FA ayu

As you can tell I like my frogs. I also like my quality, and have dropped unnecessary amounts of money on my lures.
Anyone do this too, or see anything familiar that they like on this list? I've so far caught fish on half of these. I may keep a box at home and only bring loadouts based on where I'm going that day, to save space. Everything on this list has a reason for being there.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I fish with 1 small bag… pick a handful of originals off the “shelf” and head out lol… there either gonna eat… or not… can only throw so much at em depending on the time of year… i only fish for Pike or Musky also… my days of anything in a tackle box are far gone ??. Can cover more water with “light tackle”. More beneficial than carrying ur arsenal on u every time. @CreekPikerLures
1C3E9FAA-7E9E-4999-BAD5-670B8CFF484B.jpeg5EE99419-3C23-4147-A917-28B05582EAFC.jpeg

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I got wayyyyy to many deep sea lures and jigs. Too many spoons and too many hookup baits. I go deep sea fishing in the winter and I’ve got 8 tackle boxes full of swim baits, hook-up baits, grubs, crank baits, and jigs. Not counting my Gulp collection lol.

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

Matth05

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
100% can relate to this. I’ve definitely made my tackle bag more simple and planned out. I used to take literally everything with me when I first got into bass fishing. I think now I can make pretty good judgements of what I think will work and just what I have confidence in. Mainly based on weather and what kind of body of water I’m fishing. One thing I never leave the house with is a small box of jigs (football jigs, flipping jigs). Not too many soft plastics in your rotation. I’m a finesse fisherman at heart. Not sure why, just what I have confidence in. Give me a jig or a worm on a shakey head and I’ll be happy guy.

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I don't usually leave the house with a "let's see what's biting" mentality. Most of my fishing is targeting a specific species or type of fish and I bring very little with me that isn't specific to that particular goal...although I usually have a bit of everything back in the truck in case plans change. Still, I carry fairly little with me, all of it either in pockets in a vest and/or in soft backpack or over-the-shoulder-type bags containing small plastic boxes.

And, generally speaking, I only use maybe 20 different lures...but I have several dozen of each of those, in different sizes and colours. I am particularly fond of soft-plastic finesse-type baits rigged on specialty hooks; just can't have enough of those if fishing for panfish, bass, etc.

No muskies where I live now, dang it...but lots of pike, which, for me, means big baits that take up a lot of room, so when chasing them I usually look like a big fat guy who rattles and clinks when he walks...:)

Never forget: most lures are designed to catch fishermen rather than fish.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Sad news today, casted off my lucky green tea pocket frog. Lucky ish, I still missed like 14 fish on it in two days but my first fish on it was a snakehead so it did have some sentimental value.

• Sad

aussieman57

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Sad news today, casted off my lucky green tea pocket frog. Lucky ish, I still missed like 14 fish on it in two days but my first fish on it was a snakehead so it did have some sentimental value.
Try bending the hooks out a little and waiting before setting the hook.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Try bending the hooks out a little and waiting before setting the hook.
I do, that hit just caught me off guard and whipped back as much as it did because I was already burning the frog back in for another cast when he grabbed it. 9 of the hits I missed were prior to hook bending, the rest I missed caught me off guard because they didn't blow up on it.
Only bent out the hooks once I realized the hooks weren't doing their job, after watching a bass come up and pluck the lure off the surface while I had it paused a couple feet in front of me. I even let the thing run with it for a couple seconds before plucking it out of the thing's mouth.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
My tackle box usually consists of line, hooks and swivels, and chunks of lead. The only fishing I do these days is bottom-fishing in the bay or on the coast. I've never had an affinity or even an interest in collecting multiple iterations of different colors of diiferent lures....seems to me like there's ever only one bait that works "best" and it's usually not some psychedelic looking plastic thing. Whenever i see a fancy lure display i just think this guy spends more time categorizing and photographing lures than fishing.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
The armory has been made
Snapchat-1386308507.jpg
Everything fits perfectly, finally found a use for my pinboard. Everything goes up there when I'm not using it, and I keep a loadout of around nine lures in the tacklebox.
Tacklebox itself:
Snapchat-1171873336.jpg
3/9 lures in here have caught fish for me, 1 hasn't caught anything, the rest haven't even touched the water yet. Hoping to change that this week. I also have my emerald red LT frog tied on the rod itself.

Reactions: Matth05
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store