Gold or black wolf?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Might as well look at mala and curu the same, if you keep them long enough they'll get to 2' imo but it's gonna be years. 5 years a curu should be atleast at 18" imo. If you don't want anything over 20" go for the gold.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
contradictory but I've payed the 50% deposit on the Suriname black.
I will deal with the size as he grows.
Currently he is 7-8" and should be with me in 2weeks all the way from your side of the water:)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
justarn justarn hope you don't mind me asking this here.

How do you guys think a gold would do long term with the pearsei ?

He's literally part if the family. Kids and wife adore him. Other family members usually ask "how's hulk" when they come over. Lol

So anything happens to him I'm dead. He can be a jerk at times so fear would be him biting off more than he can chew. The recent red wolf vs bufonius debacle was an eye opener for me in what a wolf can do when defending itself

Reactions: justarn

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
That's fine pal... From my recent research golds seem to be pretty placid but like Moe said db's was a jerk... There's always exceptions. Most articles advice against cichlids that will challenge the wolf, wolfs will stand up for them selves. Generally they seem to ignore fish to large to make a meal off.
I would at least try it, as you have read above I'm taking it a step further and trying a black wolf after seeing Moe's and others success.
It can all go wrong tho so that's something that needs to be weighed up. That particular gold is 10" and wild caught so who knows how aggressive it will be, at 10" it's almost adult and made it this far in a river of monsters.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
All wolves are wild caught.

J jaws7777 the cichlid will beat on the gold if anything imo. Won't know until you try it. Keep in mind the ery but a fish with no scales, and one it can wrap its mouth around, a gold isnt gonna get a good bite off on hulk, he's to fat and tall, it'd have to go for the tail end. Ery and hoplery. don't have mouths as big as hoplias.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yeah screw it. I'm gonna leave things the way the are. The little red will have to do........... For now lol

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
M Moe that's interesting, I thought mala and ere where bred in captivity for some reason.
It's my last chance to change the order today....
10" gold or 8" black, I'm still on the fence. One minute to minute I'm changing my mind.
Moe how many large black go mental? Are we talking Jardini aggressive on average?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Mala is the only wolf I'm aware of that has been successfully and repetitively breed in captivity. But that's by a member in Germany I believe he's the only one I seen report it. kno4te kno4te might know more on that, breeding isn't an aspect I've gotten into in the hobby.

Get both ;) lol. And as I tried to stress to jaws, wolves aren't that bad, but they don't back down really, though it's definitely possible. It's more so of what they're capable of without trying, those teeth aren't just for looks. They do damage without trying. I've seen my curu bite plenty of fish. Some you'd see flesh, some just scales would come off, and also seen him kill a few fish with one bite to the face. Tooth would puncture the gill area and blood would come out and they'd instantly turn upside down. So I worry more of the other fish messing with the wolf and it retaliating instead of the wolf messing with other fish, because the wolf will defend itself. This worry is more so for Hoplias. The rest are push overs ime. My gold is a character. Seen him try to fight everything. Think my odoe at have beat him the worse. Saw flesh. He went back for more though lol. He tried to fight a wyckii after the wyckii ran from the curu, rubbed on then bit the wyckii softly, as if investigating, the wyckii turned and bit him back and he ran. Reminded me of a kid kind of watching two friends argue then poke one to see if they're fine but gets yelled at and runs off.

Only thing I've ever had push a wolf over is a big male jag. They outright fought for about ten minutes, both about a foot. Wolf but the jag, the jag tried lip locking with it. They both came out fine, jag made the wolf back off. And then a large artc killed that mala outright. But that mala wasn't much of a fighter, he was gentle. The one I always say is my favorite, pet him picked him up out the water for a little to see how much he trusted me lol, he hand feed too, hovered all day begged for food like a cichlid. But that's rare. Had him for a few years. The reason I got my 120.

I'll add, curu I notice are more agro towards fish that look like themselves, they are definitely the least likely to accept other wolves. Where as you can keep malas together no issue, like bichirs almost, a curu isn't gonna be the same. My gold worked with my curu in the 120 so you have a 300 you'll be much better off than me. If it's in the budget I'd get both personally and a mala. They're like bichirs to me lol I want them all.

And here I go yet another lengthy post on wolves lol sorry..

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Mate I love reading your posts, I could read about wolves all day lol. I think I'm in a similar boat to Frank, my Oscar is my baby, he is different to store bought Oscars being wild caught and isn't so much of a knob, he doesn't challenge fish for no reason then get beat up.
I've spent quite a bit off time thinking this over, where as my last black I lost was more of an impulse buy tbh.
It all stems from that awesome little red I lost.
I'm leaning back gold ATM, I will probably regret either decision but I'm not willing to try both I don't think. We have to pay alot more over here than you do to cover import costs.
It would cost me over $350 for the pair and I have a holiday in two weeks and a tax bill to pay lol.
Im so damd indecisive it drives me mental lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store