Gold or black wolf?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Mala is the only wolf I'm aware of that has been successfully and repetitively breed in captivity. But that's by a member in Germany I believe he's the only one I seen report it. kno4te kno4te might know more on that, breeding isn't an aspect I've gotten into in the hobby.

Get both ;) lol. And as I tried to stress to jaws, wolves aren't that bad, but they don't back down really, though it's definitely possible. It's more so of what they're capable of without trying, those teeth aren't just for looks. They do damage without trying. I've seen my curu bite plenty of fish. Some you'd see flesh, some just scales would come off, and also seen him kill a few fish with one bite to the face. Tooth would puncture the gill area and blood would come out and they'd instantly turn upside down. So I worry more of the other fish messing with the wolf and it retaliating instead of the wolf messing with other fish, because the wolf will defend itself. This worry is more so for Hoplias. The rest are push overs ime. My gold is a character. Seen him try to fight everything. Think my odoe at have beat him the worse. Saw flesh. He went back for more though lol. He tried to fight a wyckii after the wyckii ran from the curu, rubbed on then bit the wyckii softly, as if investigating, the wyckii turned and bit him back and he ran. Reminded me of a kid kind of watching two friends argue then poke one to see if they're fine but gets yelled at and runs off.

Only thing I've ever had push a wolf over is a big male jag. They outright fought for about ten minutes, both about a foot. Wolf but the jag, the jag tried lip locking with it. They both came out fine, jag made the wolf back off. And then a large artc killed that mala outright. But that mala wasn't much of a fighter, he was gentle. The one I always say is my favorite, pet him picked him up out the water for a little to see how much he trusted me lol, he hand feed too, hovered all day begged for food like a cichlid. But that's rare. Had him for a few years. The reason I got my 120.

I'll add, curu I notice are more agro towards fish that look like themselves, they are definitely the least likely to accept other wolves. Where as you can keep malas together no issue, like bichirs almost, a curu isn't gonna be the same. My gold worked with my curu in the 120 so you have a 300 you'll be much better off than me. If it's in the budget I'd get both personally and a mala. They're like bichirs to me lol I want them all.

And here I go yet another lengthy post on wolves lol sorry..
Yea...i don’t think wolves have the appeal much to require breeding and captive breeding. Wolves are all wild caught for now and no cb wolves in the market. They aren’t like polypterus.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Ok dude that's cool, someone should be breeding reds imo, fantastic little beasts.

Order changed too the gold now.
I think its the right choice and probably a happy medium between a red and a curu.
I will grow a black out one day but its just not the right time with my tank how it currently is. its not right to risk my stock with the black and would selfish of me and counter productive to all the work ive done building my sa setup. If things turned nasty with any damage I would be gutted, ive been there and done the aggressive beast in a community with the wyckii. I got fed up and sold the wyckii which I loved because of the regular damage to tank mates.
my l095 pinecone and Oscar are too precious to me, and the other fish of course:)

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
When/if you do take the dive for Hoplias I'd say aim for between 6-8" so your oscar can establish dominance.

Reactions: justarn

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
yeah It wont be for a long time until the 300 becomes free. would really like to see the Oscar through and he is only 2yrs old.

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
I’m late to the tread, but, aren’t there 2 types of curu’s? I’ve had mine for at least 10 years. He maybe just over a foot, hasn’t grown that I can tell, maybe an inch? I also remember a few people importing them at over 17” a few years back. I thought the consensus was that there were 2 Curus?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I'm not sure but I would think different catch locations could quite easily average different sized.
Different sex might have an effect too no?
I do know everywhere on the net it seems to say in private aquaria blacks average 30-40cm for some reason.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Moe should know... The wolf king:)

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK

This is cool

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I’m late to the tread, but, aren’t there 2 types of curu’s? I’ve had mine for at least 10 years. He maybe just over a foot, hasn’t grown that I can tell, maybe an inch? I also remember a few people importing them at over 17” a few years back. I thought the consensus was that there were 2 Curus?
There's different variants. But same species. Catch location is said to effect size on many species but some of those are expected to be entirely different species others lack proof of the difference. There's old threads on curus and this topic. I believe xingu was said to be smaller but there was no proof of any of it.

Not to say for certain. But a curu of ten years at a foot I'd say is stunted. My guy fasted for 6 months straight at one point and was on and off through the few years with feeding. Plenty of times he didn't eat for a month straight. Still grew to 15" no issue in a 120.

Gender affects girth females being bigger. Never saw anything length related.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store