Gold x silver gt grow outs

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
This one I believe I saw male parts pokin out at one point. One of two left that have colors in the dorsal.

View attachment 1355219 View attachment 1355220 View attachment 1355221
This one is very round. Are you sure it’s not a female?
Have you noticed any pairing or sparring between the older fry?

My fry tank has a couple noticeable males now. Not colored up at all. I was debating on moving one to a different tank just to see if I could get it to color up as nice as Lil Mon has.

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
This one is very round. Are you sure it’s not a female?
Have you noticed any pairing or sparring between the older fry?

My fry tank has a couple noticeable males now. Not colored up at all. I was debating on moving one to a different tank just to see if I could get it to color up as nice as Lil Mon has.
Yeah I have no idea. The more I look at them the less I'm sure. If it is a female she will be very colorful looks like. I thought I saw a point sticking out one day.

No pairing at all, wouldn't that be my luck that I give all the males and white seams away the first time i breed these guys haha.

Your fish were hatched a month or two before these I think, because I remember your original thread about them. I will probably keep these guys a tad longer to see who develops best and take the rest to a store or craigslist em

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
I think the parents just arent the quality needed to to have awesome looking fry. I've seen pics of very small fry that are just poppin with colors. All mine seem pretty matte finish with drab written all over them.

That little bastard is pretty round huh? looks like a football with fins

Reactions: Jexnell and MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I think the parents just arent the quality needed to to have awesome looking fry. I've seen pics of very small fry that are just poppin with colors. All mine seem pretty matte finish with drab written all over them.

That little bastard is pretty round huh? looks like a football with fins
That literally made me laugh out loud.
Unless you are feeding really heavy and that one is just a big pig... I’d say it has to be an eggy female. I could be wrong, but from the picture thats what it looks like to me.

The parents do make a difference. And I feel like that moms are the biggest influence looks wise.
My big female Greenie didn’t make babies as nice as my female Jades.
I still love my Greenie girl, but she is not allowed to raise anymore fry.

Reactions: Jexnell

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
That literally made me laugh out loud.
Unless you are feeding really heavy and that one is just a big pig... I’d say it has to be an eggy female. I could be wrong, but from the picture thats what it looks like to me.

The parents do make a difference. And I feel like that moms are the biggest influence looks wise.
My big female Greenie didn’t make babies as nice as my female Jades.
I still love my Greenie girl, but she is not allowed to raise anymore fry.
They are all kinda fat, I do feed them a little heavy, but theres about 6-8 that size, plus the 5 -7 little guys and 5 danios, so they always go nuts when i feed. Brine shrimp, tiny cichlid pellets, and i throw a couple algae wafers in every couple days to get their veggies

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
There is a really dark almost black female, she shows the darkest colors of all

View attachment 1355222 View attachment 1355223 View attachment 1355224
That dark Female reminds me of my girl when she was younger, I'd hold on to her and see how she turns out if you have the room.
River started really showing her colours around the 10cm/4"ish mark so if that female is smaller than 4" hold her until she is, she might just surprise you. :)

I agree though that quality parents produce quality fry. I'd have loved to seen Rivers dad, I bet he was an exquisitely handsome boy. :D

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
That dark Female reminds me of my girl when she was younger, I'd hold on to her and see how she turns out if you have the room.
River started really showing her colours around the 10cm/4"ish mark so if that female is smaller than 4" hold her until she is, she might just surprise you. :)

I agree though that quality parents produce quality fry. I'd have loved to seen Rivers dad, I bet he was an exquisitely handsome boy. :D
Both her parents must have been jaw droppers. :)

They are all kinda fat, I do feed them a little heavy, but theres about 6-8 that size, plus the 5 -7 little guys and 5 danios, so they always go nuts when i feed. Brine shrimp, tiny cichlid pellets, and i throw a couple algae wafers in every couple days to get their veggies
It wouldn’t hurt to cut back some maybe.
Looking at your fry in the store picture they are a lot lighter then the ones in your tank.
I think it would be interesting to see a couple of your bigger fry pulled out and raised in a different tank that’s not blacked out.
I’ve been very unhappy with how my fry looked in the parents blacked out tank. Adults do better holding their color, but fry just color to blend into their surroundings too much:/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store