Golden Base Flowerhorn

AsmK

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2021
Hi MFK,

Just want to share my Golden Base Flowerhorn.Have been following the forums quiet a while now,and following great tips on forums.
This pic was taken when I had got it.
IMG-20211101-WA0006.jpeg
IMG_20211102_152406.jpg
Got this 3 weeks back from a Local Shop.
Tank Setup : SunSun External Filter HW-603b with a Thermostat set at 28°C

This week's image:
IMG_20211118_132715_019.jpg
Currently feeding him Hikari Bio Good Plus and XO Humpy Head.And as treats once or twice a week Dried Shrimps.

NLS products are recommended I have seen,but they are not available here in India easily.

The breeder said it will develop a head sooner or later.But I can already see head starting to pop after 3 weeks.

Just one advice needed,the fish has weird problem of eating its own poop since the day I got it.I have been continuously keeping look on the tank so when he poops ,I Siphon it out quickly.its a bare bottom tank,he thinks whatever is on the tank floor is food(though everything I feed is floating type food)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Nice looking fish, lighting makes it a bit difficult to get a solid feel regarding color, but overall nice potential. Do you pre-soak the dried shrimp? If not, you may want to consider that. Hikari Bio-Gold+ is a quality food. I like this Hikari formula for orange/red fish.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I agree with RD. Hikari Blood Red Parrot formula has some ingredients which help enhance red coloration such as Chili Pepper, Krill, Astaxanthin, and Marigold Flower Meal the last has lutein, a carotenoid pigment and these help enhance red, orange coloration. Your feeding shrimp or freeze dried krill? In either case as RD. said it's best to presoak.

Also I wouldn't worry to much about the poop eating. He's probably just attempting to sift for food and probably spits it out. A for the humpy head as far as I know there really isn't a food that can help enhance hump/KOK growth. As long as you provide a quality food source and good water parameters and his genetics are good your flowerhorns hump will come in.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A for the humpy head as far as I know there really isn't a food that can help enhance hump/KOK growth. As long as you provide a quality food source and good water parameters and his genetics are good your flowerhorns hump will come in.
Agreed, IMHO waste of money, and with FH, too much protein can create health issues, more than help them. Slow even growth should be the goal with every young fish.

Did someone hack into RD's account?
? ??

OP has access to Hikari, so that formula is the one that I would recommend. And (gasp) I actually feed that formula to some of my fish, including my 14" adult male midas.

AsmK

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2021
Nice looking fish, lighting makes it a bit difficult to get a solid feel regarding color, but overall nice potential. Do you pre-soak the dried shrimp? If not, you may want to consider that. Hikari Bio-Gold+ is a quality food. I like this Hikari formula for orange/red fish.

Thank you for the Comment.
The first day when I got it I cut the dried shrimps in small pieces and fed it.He was interested but having trouble to eat it.Then I checked the forum,and saw the response in one of the thread to soak them.Now I soak them for 5 min or till it's soft.
About food,yes will be buying Hikari Blood Red Parrot in coming weeks.

And yes about lighting the colour is not dark of my FH when pure Blue and White light mode is used.So I switch to RGB Tint mode mostly to enhance its colour visually.Quiet Happy with my Fish.

Anyways here is the pic with Pure Blue and White mode.
IMG_20211118_193805.jpg
IMG_20211118_193810.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store