Golden Base Flowerhorn

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
can confirm that XO Humpy Head gives results in 4-5 weeks. At the very least, it will improve the shape of the hump.
Really, and how would you confirm that, seeing as nuchal humps in fish are not triggered by diet, but by hormones. Well, unless that formula contains hormones, like some of the good ol Asian foods in the past. Hmmmm. White Crane comes to mind.

Typically what happens is some unsuspecting hobbyist feeds this type of food, and as the fish acclimates to their tank, and starts to sexually mature - like magic a hump starts to appear. It must be the food! lol It's not, unless as stated the food contains hormones. Simple as that.

The Nuchal Hump in Amphilophus | MonsterFishKeepers.com

HTH

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
...... and from that same link, the paper by Barlow also states:

"Groups of males kept without females in large tanks regularly develop enormous nuchal humps that persist. The humps on such males often become grotesque, and far exceed anything seen in nature. The behavior of these males suggests that aggressive behavior might be involved in stimulating the development of the hump. Aggressive activity is also an important aspect of courtship behavior, particularly during pair formation. "

Which is exactly why some breeders/hobbyists of FH "groom" their fish with a mirror, use higher than required temps (82-85F), and overall knowingly or unknowingly, agitate their fish. It triggers aggressive behavior, even in lone males, which triggers nuchal hump growth.

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
Really, and how would you confirm that, seeing as nuchal humps in fish are not triggered by diet, but by hormones. Well, unless that formula contains hormones, like some of the good ol Asian foods in the past. Hmmmm. White Crane comes to mind.
HTH
I am inclined to the version that the feed contains prohormones in combination with peptides, since the requirements for the safety of feed for animals have recently become more stringent. FH feed from Singapore and Thailand are different feeds.

5.jpg

Reactions: Krismo962

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
White Crane used to state that they didn't contain hormones, yet female African cichlid peacocks would color up like males. lol This was probably 20 yrs or more back now. I would think that Singapore would be far more stringent than Thailand, as far as feed, hormones, or anything else aquatic related. When I was in the tropical feed game years ago our govt here in Canada blocked the importation of most of the Asian producers due to how sketchy they were, some not even allowing govt inspectors to visit. They actually blocked Hikari for 6 months or so when they first cracked down after the melamine in dog food fiasco. (out of China)

But if not hormones, then feed will not influence nuchal hump size, beyond what any normal amount of proper nutrition would aid a male fish in normal sexual maturation. The rest is just Flowerhorn marketing hyperbole. High protein feed for a fish created from fish that are all omnivores, never seemed logical to me, other than most FH keepers focus on fast growth, fast sexual maturation, and aggressiveness which aids both overall coloration, and nuchal hump size. I always raised my FH the same way as the rest of my fish, with longevity in mind.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
A bit of an ugly brute and definitely not one of my best pics but here's my guy. And he's never had humpy head, just good water a varied diet and apparently some good genetics at least as far as his Nuchal hump goes. I've kept Flowerhorns and "Mammons/KKP" for a little while now and while I don't claim to be an expert in my experience it's mostly genetics. I've had Flowerhorns and "Mammons/KKP" come in with deflated humps and after acclimating regained them back and I've had some that never developed them regardless of feed as at one point I did try foods that supposedly would help hump growth. Maybe it's just my bad luck and good luck? The fish in my avatar is a "Mammon/KKP" who had a little one and no food ever helped make his bigger.
Kamfa 3.0.jpg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A bit of an ugly brute and definitely not one of my best pics but here's my guy. And he's never had humpy head, just good water a varied diet and apparently some good genetics at least as far as his Nuchal hump goes. I've kept Flowerhorns and "Mammons/KKP" for a little while now and while I don't claim to be an expert in my experience it's mostly genetics. I've had Flowerhorns and "Mammons/KKP" come in with deflated humps and after acclimating regained them back and I've had some that never developed them regardless of feed as at one point I did try foods that supposedly would help hump growth. Maybe it's just my bad luck and good luck? The fish in my avatar is a "Mammon/KKP" who had a little one and no food ever helped make his bigger.
View attachment 1479165

Hey Kolt, he is indeed a brute! And a perfect example of what genetics and proper overall care will do for a FH's nuchal hump. My FH's of yesteryears never had the massive humps seen on many of today's FH, but the genetics simply were not there, and it wouldn't have mattered what I fed, or how I groomed them. The potential for a massive nuchal hump was simply never there. This was my last FH.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Hey Kolt, he is indeed a brute! And a perfect example of what genetics and proper overall care will do for a FH's nuchal hump. My FH's of yesteryears never had the massive humps seen on many of today's FH, but the genetics simply were not there, and it wouldn't have mattered what I fed, or how I groomed them. The potential for a massive nuchal hump was simply never there. This was my last FH.

Yours still had a good nuchal, it just wasn't as crazy as my guys is and yours was quite the looker, I like that chunky boy body he had going on.

Mine's lucky he has that big forehead bumper cause let me tell you he's not all that bright. ? I think I mentioned it in other threads but he loves to crash his skull into my glass canopies. He always confuses condensation water droplets for food. And he's hurt himself a couple of times but it doesn't stop him. Otherwise if you're not a cichlid he tolerates tankmates fairly well. Except my Trachy cats as soon as they try to patrol he starts giving them the business. Then I have to listen to the Trachys croak in complaint of the treatment as they're pretty stubborn and don't go back to their hides so easily.

AsmK

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2021
View attachment 1479165
I'm currently feeding him Humpy Head cause this food I already had from my past FH which was a SRD(sad story TLDR: Died within 5 days,got too excited and jumped out of the tank when feeding him.Was my first FH SRD Monstor Kok Gene.Probably hurt his head internally or central nerves system got damaged due to this stunt).

I was feeding 1-2 pellets of Humpy Head mixed with Hikari Bio Gold in a single meal.After listening to comments I am feeding him once in a day humpy head henceforth.

Also RD. RD. I got to see his Dad today from the breeder.He was around 6-7inch(maybe more) with very Good Hump and Full white pinkish body like colour.Honestly about hump,I am more inclined towards Normal hump like Super Red Monkey FH has not extremely big,which tend to make FH suffer.

Edit : Just like the one you shared in your above post.Beautiful fish and that's the way I like the hump.

Reactions: koltsixx and RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store