Good Aquarium Habits From Experience

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
As the title suggests, write about what you have learned to be good, helpful and down right necessary habits/practices for looking after an aquarium. It can be related to planted tanks, species tanks, community tanks and product care.

Please keep petty arguments out of it. add as many details and reasons as you can. This thread is intended to help people looking for concise, accurate or helpful information.

I will start with something basic.
1. Always unplug heaters when doing water changes. I have burnt out and cracked 2 heaters because I forgot to unplug them when I was younger.
2. Check water temperatures daily. I almost fried my fish once or twice with a faulty heater but luckily noticed the temperature in time to rectify it.
3. Research the fish you intend to buy. So many times fish that are not compatible are thrown together and expected to eventually settle down. 99% of the time it doesn't happen. We have all seen the oscar in the 29gal more than once.

buddha1200

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
camden, NJ
regular water changes.
I personal do between 70-80% a week.
helps keep nitrates under control
and is a must for excellent growth and color.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Working with 2 smaller heater is better than relying on one big one. If one breaks you have a heater already in thank set to the right temperature to stop any huge water changes.
A varied diet of as many different types of foods as you can is best for growth, coloration and health.

Reactions: Wiggie

TaratronVaeVictus

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
Peoria, AZ, USA
Things to keep on hand always:

Spare air pump with airstone and airline tubing
Seachem Prime
Water changer (Python)
Spare clean buckets
Nets

zpage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2011
NC
no rocks with sharp edges. my oscar used to tear himself up chasing feeder fish. also a spare filter is a good idea.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Keep tanks with fish known to jump COVERED. Lost 2 arowanas and 2 of my prized bichirs because I forgot to replace the covers after a water change.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Have clean hands when working around tanks. I do not go from using household chemicals, pesticides; auto repair materials and the like to my tanks without cleaning my hands. I also do not store such stuff near the tanks.

ScottAlan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
Atlanta
Don't overcrowd your tank. I had a 10 gal with 2 baby catfish a baby bass and a small pleco. 1 catfish and the bass have died due to nasty infections i believe to be caused by stress from bullies / nitrates and ammonia buildup from all the waste. Lesson learned.

Nabob_Mob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2011
Northern IL
Do not reach into tanks with open wounds, bacteria and micro organisms can quickly cause infection.

ON that note, don't crush snails with your fingers, the shells can be sharp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store