Good Aquarium Habits From Experience

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
If you want to keep big fish, big tank first, fish later, too many good intentions about upgrading later remain just that, intentions. Rehoming a 12"+ fish is often much more difficult than expected.

Reactions: tlindsey

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
water changes are an absolute, there is no falling down on the job, IMHO. you can stretch a bit on filter cleaning, and tank maintenance, I stress the word bit, but not on water changes, and redundancy. even if one filter can do the job have 2. if 2 filters is needed to do the job have 3, same for heaters.

will save emergency heart ack down the road for you and your fish.

Reactions: jwh and tlindsey

jimmie d wad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2011
south of heaven
Use two heater instead of one. if one big heater sticks on it can cook your tank. if one heater fails. you have one to at least hold the temp from crashing
Double the filtration. if it says it's good for a 100 gal tank, it's only good for a 55
Never walk away when doing a water change. I have forgot my hose on a couple times. each time cost me $800 +++ in dead live stock
Regular water changes.
Buy as much as you can in bulk. and keep track of your inventory.

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
1. Be consistent with water changes/maintenance
2. Qt new fish
3. Don't use aerosol sprays around/near your tanks
4. Patience and research are a must when planning a tank.

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Also, Be Sure to take a few minutes each day to check your fish and tanks. Sometimes life gets busy and you don't have as much time to spend with your fish. But things can happen quick. Check things like temperature, are the filters all working, fish look ok, etc.

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
I try to be vigilant in regards to contamination/cross-contamination

*Any equipment that goes into or comes out of the tank gets a bleach bath before going into storage or back on the shelf.....nets, filters, tanks, heaters, etc

*For equipment that doesn't get disinfected regularly, I have dedicated equipment for each individual tank: water changing hoses, buckets, etc

*Water changes, water changes, water changes!!!! I do >50% every 3-4 days.

*Multiple filters on every tank.

*Heat controller on every tank.

*Won't ever use auto-feeders ever again. I just find that it just increases the chances of it fouling the water if it malfunctions. I don't trust people feeding my fish....from personal experiences and reading horrors stories online. I just let my fish go on a fast for 1-3wks while I'm away.....never had a single issue....never even seen a hint of a sunken belly

*Haven't used carbon as part of filtration system since the early '90s

*Won't use any sort of chemicals (clarifiers, algaecide, etc) in my tanks. I'm on well water, so I don't even have to use dechlorinator. I do use Seachem Safe, but only to neutralize equipment after a bleach bath

*Be vigilant during refilling the tank during water changes.....especially if you're multi-tasking. This mishap still occurs at least once or twice a year for me smh :D

I'd take this a step further, and seldom put my hands into the tank water. I do it when it is a must....and rearranging décor is not a must.
What kind of fish do you have that don't require feeding for over 3 weeks?! :O

I've never gone more than a few days. I've heard that fish will do fine up to a week but still worry.

Would certainly like to hear more on those with more experience than myself regarding fish fasting.

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
Keep a spreadsheet of expenses. Helps to have an idea of how much is being spent :)

But then again, perhaps not knowing is bliss as well? Haha.

Reactions: Bandit87

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
What kind of fish do you have that don't require feeding for over 3 weeks?! :O

I've never gone more than a few days. I've heard that fish will do fine up to a week but still worry.

Would certainly like to hear more on those with more experience than myself regarding fish fasting.
Here are a few samples of what I keep
20150606_213245.jpg IMG_1218.jpg IMG_0799.jpg IMG_1228.jpg

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
Incredible. So if I leave for 10 days for business trips I can be pretty confident that my Sevs and Geos will be alive then!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Incredible. So if I leave for 10 days for business trips I can be pretty confident that my Sevs and Geos will be alive then!
All the fish, I've posted above, have fasted for multiple weeks while I've been away.

Reactions: aquaticeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store