Good Characin tank mate for Red wolf?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Hey guys. what do you think would work w/ a red hi fin, that is also a characin? Ive been thinking silver pike characin, yellow or red tail barracuda, or a mosaic pike characin. Maybe a even a chalceus. i know reds dont do well with other reds, so if something acts too much like a red then it may kill it. Anyone try any of these combos?

the disposition of my red is pretty docile, i was told he would nip the hell out of my bichir by some and he wouldnt by others and he does not. The ornate has nipped him once. Also going to be picking up my Gold Dust bichir monday. They are in a 70 ga long growout, until they reach around 10 inches then going into at least a 125. depending on dimensions.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Wolves aren't my forte, but I'd wager you could get away with a trio of silver pikes and a trio of either cuda along with a tat for an awesome medium characin tank! They'd all fit together very well IMO. I'd like to see that.

Or, you could do a silver pike characin, spotted pike characin (B. maculata- is this what you called mosaic?) and striped pike characin (B. lateristringa). That'd be pretty cool! :thumbsup:

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
I second the pack of barracudas, I think 3-5 red or yellow tails would look great with a red wolf. If you don't decide to go that route, perhaps an odoe pike or 3?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I second the pack of barracudas, I think 3-5 red or yellow tails would look great with a red wolf. If you don't decide to go that route, perhaps an odoe pike or 3?
In the longest of the long term, odoes would probably get too big for the 125 I think.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Armatus could work. Even though mine didn't go that well, my red wolf was more aggressive than usual. i've kept others that were more peaceful.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Agreed, I only suggested them since he said "at least a 125". A pack of odoes would definitely need more space than that as adults.
Ah, true. I didn't catch the "at least" part.

OP, if you're willing to go to, say, a 240 then your options REALLY open up.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I'm going to be slowly upgrading tanks probably until I die haha I have been since I've been in the hobby and unless I go poor I'm going big, how long does an Odoe take to get too large for something around a 125? I'm also building it to perfect dimensions for these guys, , long and wide, would love to figure out how to round out the corners so they don'tt ram them in their usual speed spurts ya know. And yeah chic was talking about maculatas, that would be a wild false gar characin combo! I've yet to see the striped about to look him up. What is a tat (getting kind of good w/ the acronyms but never got that one haha)

Armatus?! That was honestly one of the last on my mind, if there at all but I do like payara, and I've been more interested in them but I hear they grow like weeds! Wouldn't they need a larger tank much faster? I've always liked the red tail pays (may be red tail scomb not sure on actual specie).

I'd also like to go with things that stay by the top, there will also be bichirs on the bottom along w/ geophagus hecks and zanis (basically dithers/maintenance, I know hecks aren't true geos but mine have already caught on to sifting w/ my zani) all of which I basically already have other then a retro bichir.

What are your thoughts of FATF or forskahili (probably butchered that latin) w/ bichirs and wolf? Total No? Maybe? Lol im really interested in these guys but I figured this would be a fish I kept when I had my own place, but seeing the size of the tanks they're kept in I can do that sooner then thought. Just a thought so don't go nuts for me suggesting it haha.

I like all the ideas! Keep em comin guys, I'd love to make this medium sized characin tank work! It'll be crazy!

Just so you guys know I'm sort of serious about fish, trying to find work in local fisheries or LFS after surgery (on my foot, I can probably handle most work in an LFS w/ a boot on one foot) fisheries will be more of a career thing. So don't be shy w/ suggestions of final setup for adult size of these fish haha I'm willing to go quite large when they are adults. Or comments on anything to improve my setup/fish

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

redwolffish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2010
asheville nc
I vote for a school of six red tailed chalceus for their color and for the fact that they don't mess with anything that they can't fit in their mouths, but they are fast enough that nothing can catch them and they can fend for themselves in a fight

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: Longfindragon

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
I vote for a school of six red tailed chalceus for their color and for the fact that they don't mess with anything that they can't fit in their mouths, but they are fast enough that nothing can catch them and they can fend for themselves in a fight

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1 six would be awesome, there scales are large for their size and look spectacular

Reactions: Longfindragon
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store