Good Characin tank mate for Red wolf?

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
I'm going to be slowly upgrading tanks probably until I die haha I have been since I've been in the hobby and unless I go poor I'm going big, how long does an Odoe take to get too large for something around a 125? I'm also building it to perfect dimensions for these guys, , long and wide, would love to figure out how to round out the corners so they don'tt ram them in their usual speed spurts ya know. And yeah chic was talking about maculatas, that would be a wild false gar characin combo! I've yet to see the striped about to look him up. What is a tat (getting kind of good w/ the acronyms but never got that one haha)

Armatus?! That was honestly one of the last on my mind, if there at all but I do like payara, and I've been more interested in them but I hear they grow like weeds! Wouldn't they need a larger tank much faster? I've always liked the red tail pays (may be red tail scomb not sure on actual specie).

I'd also like to go with things that stay by the top, there will also be bichirs on the bottom along w/ geophagus hecks and zanis (basically dithers/maintenance, I know hecks aren't true geos but mine have already caught on to sifting w/ my zani) all of which I basically already have other then a retro bichir.

What are your thoughts of FATF or forskahili (probably butchered that latin) w/ bichirs and wolf? Total No? Maybe? Lol im really interested in these guys but I figured this would be a fish I kept when I had my own place, but seeing the size of the tanks they're kept in I can do that sooner then thought. Just a thought so don't go nuts for me suggesting it haha.

I like all the ideas! Keep em comin guys, I'd love to make this medium sized characin tank work! It'll be crazy!

Just so you guys know I'm sort of serious about fish, trying to find work in local fisheries or LFS after surgery (on my foot, I can probably handle most work in an LFS w/ a boot on one foot) fisheries will be more of a career thing. So don't be shy w/ suggestions of final setup for adult size of these fish haha I'm willing to go quite large when they are adults. Or comments on anything to improve my setup/fish

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Where would you get FATF? Im just wondering because everyone here likes ATF but they grow large and are pretty pricy except for Forskahilli.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I like the chalceus idea as well. I had one before and I'd like to have more someday.

Fwiw everyone, Segrest has them in stock right now. Check with your lfs to get some. They should be quite affordable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Thanks Chicx just gave my lfs a call and they said they'll check if it's in stock. I've got like 75 bucks, but they once had a vittatus and a tatf for 80 apiece so idk depends how segrest prices it ill get it or a odoe

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
What are your thoughts of FATF or forskahili (probably butchered that latin) w/ bichirs and wolf? Total No? Maybe? Lol im really interested in these guys but I figured this would be a fish I kept when I had my own place, but seeing the size of the tanks they're kept in I can do that sooner then thought. Just a thought so don't go nuts for me suggesting it haha.
As long as the forskahlii (;) ) isn't small enough to be eaten, they should be fine. They are typical of ATF in that they're slow growers, so you would have a good bit of time before they get really big. They will keep growing after 12", but it will slow dramatically after that point; just like how vatf slows down after 16" or so and gatf after 20" or so. They only grow relatively quick up to sexual maturity.

I have a fatf right now. They're very pretty fish that look rather like a vatf. They have the same bold stripes and silvery white base color. The key difference is that a vatf has a yellow dorsal fin and top half of his tail fin, but the fatf has a black dorsal fin and top half of his tail fin. The anal. pelvic and low have of the tail fins on a fatf is red, orange or yellow just like a vittatus. Mine is yellow tailed.

Thanks Chicx just gave my lfs a call and they said they'll check if it's in stock. I've got like 75 bucks, but they once had a vittatus and a tatf for 80 apiece so idk depends how segrest prices it ill get it or a odoe
Segrest doesn't carry ATF. They're based in Florida and Florida is VERY strict about ATF. They're on the short list of species that are so restricted they will make a FWC officer have a brain aneurism on the spot. They won't even let wholesalers or universities have ATF specimens. Its ridiculous! lol

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
As long as the forskahlii (;) ) isn't small enough to be eaten, they should be fine. They are typical of ATF in that they're slow growers, so you would have a good bit of time before they get really big. They will keep growing after 12", but it will slow dramatically after that point; just like how vatf slows down after 16" or so and gatf after 20" or so. They only grow relatively quick up to sexual maturity.

I have a fatf right now. They're very pretty fish that look rather like a vatf. They have the same bold stripes and silvery white base color. The key difference is that a vatf has a yellow dorsal fin and top half of his tail fin, but the fatf has a black dorsal fin and top half of his tail fin. The anal. pelvic and low have of the tail fins on a fatf is red, orange or yellow just like a vittatus. Mine is yellow tailed.

Segrest doesn't carry ATF. They're based in Florida and Florida is VERY strict about ATF. They're on the short list of species that are so restricted they will make a FWC officer have a brain aneurism on the spot. They won't even let wholesalers or universities have ATF specimens. Its ridiculous! lol
Do universities study ATFs? I'm very surprised. I thought these exotic fish are only enjoyed my hobbyists like us? Why would people want specimens of a non-mainstream fish that people bearly know?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Where would you get FATF? Im just wondering because everyone here likes ATF but they grow large and are pretty pricy except for Forskahilli.
I would just keep browsing vendors and keeping a good 200-300 bucks reserved for snatching one the minute i see it lol. Thats why im interested in those guys, i heard they come around in the early fall? Idk how true that is

I vote for a school of six red tailed chalceus for their color and for the fact that they don't mess with anything that they can't fit in their mouths, but they are fast enough that nothing can catch them and they can fend for themselves in a fight

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I do like that idea and Bluegrass has small and large red tails... may have to get 3 small guys (so they can growout peacefully, w/o eating my tiny bichir) still deciding though, for sure going to have at least a couple false pike characins of some sort. I love the moustache on the silver

I like the chalceus idea as well. I had one before and I'd like to have more someday.

Fwiw everyone, Segrest has them in stock right now. Check with your lfs to get some. They should be quite affordable.

Oooo are you talking about FATF or chalcesus? Bluegrass also has them, small and medium, 1.5-2 inch and 2-4 inch respectivley. Relativley cheap, 30 for medium 14 for small

Lol! That mental image of an FWC walking into your tank room w/ max made me literally laugh. Thats messed up about universities though, no government agency should restrict learning, im sure they could have been tagged or kept in a super surveilled area. Thanks for the tips on ID id hate to accidently get a GATF or even VATF

Do universities study ATFs? I'm very surprised. I thought these exotic fish are only enjoyed my hobbyists like us? Why would people want specimens of a non-mainstream fish that people bearly know?
I would imagine major aquatics universities would, hell maybe even they just go study one thats kept in a public aquarium. I think the answer to your last question is that people are thrilled by the unknown. Thats why most people who walk into my bedroom are like WHAT when they see my fish, ill describe them to them and they dont take much interest, once people see them though theyre amazed.

Plus i do believe ATF hold the distinction of being the largest characin? That must make them a pretty well sought target for study, or even because a large GATF can be very dangerous that may make people afraid to study them. I wouldnt want to deal w/ one in the water. Its like a pirahna x great dane lol. Hey Chic, any of yours ever go after your hand for a nip? Ive gotten one from my red wolf but his teeth are totally different. I would be afraid to put my hands in after they get over a foot!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Generic scientific study. Combining the fact that GATF is the largest characin and how unique and charismatic of a predator these fish are, they're surprisingly well studied.

I would just keep browsing vendors and keeping a good 200-300 bucks reserved for snatching one the minute i see it lol. Thats why im interested in those guys, i heard they come around in the early fall? Idk how true that is
Spring into early summer for FATF. There's still a few shipments coming in, but I expect they'll be slacking off. FATF was probably the most common species brought in this year.

Oooo are you talking about FATF or chalcesus? Bluegrass also has them, small and medium, 1.5-2 inch and 2-4 inch respectivley. Relativley cheap, 30 for medium 14 for small
Chalceus

Lol! That mental image of an FWC walking into your tank room w/ max made me literally laugh. Thats messed up about universities though, no government agency should restrict learning, im sure they could have been tagged or kept in a super surveilled area. Thanks for the tips on ID id hate to accidently get a GATF or even VATF
Its because of their invasive potential and the havoc they could wreak if they got loose I assume. Florida has a short list of things that can't be kept by anyone under any circumstances. Other risky species can be kept with a permit, such as dorados for example (though the FWC's decision that Dorados are somehow less dangerous to an ecosystem than an ATF is beyond my understanding).

Plus i do believe ATF hold the distinction of being the largest characin? That must make them a pretty well sought target for study, or even because a large GATF can be very dangerous that may make people afraid to study them. I wouldnt want to deal w/ one in the water. Its like a pirahna x great dane lol. Hey Chic, any of yours ever go after your hand for a nip? Ive gotten one from my red wolf but his teeth are totally different. I would be afraid to put my hands in after they get over a foot!
Yes, the GATF is the title holder, followed very closely by the dorado Salminus franciscanus. A large GATF could damage a human with the efficacy of a large shark I'd imagine. Max has never got me, but I've been tagged by ~4" growouts before. Even a fish that small can bit hard enough that you can feel the pinch. I have no doubt that Max could do do enough damage that I'd need stitches.

While he's never gotten me, he's come awfully close. I was hand feeding Drogo some fresh salmon with the skin still on one time, and he didn't want anymore. I was standing at the far left side of the tank trying to get him to eat the last chunk by wiggling it around and making some small splashes with it. Drogo already had a few chunks and couldn't be enticed to take the last one. He'd look close but he wouldn't take it. I wasn't really paying attention to Max because I was so worried about getting this fillet chunk eaten.

All of a sudden out of nowhere I got splashed really bad and there was a hard tug on the fillet chunk. Max had came up and absolutely smashed the chunk and took off with it while I was still holding it, soaking me in the process. It admittedly startled me. I looked down to see a perfectly clean cut in the fillet chunk less than half an inch from my fingers. The cut was cleaner than you could do with scissors. Anyone who's ever prepared a salmon dinner knows how hard that skin can be to cut without a very sharp knife. Max cut it clean as you please in a split second. That was quite the sobering moment for me.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Oh wow I can imagine! My red (who's name is Morgoth lol) got me at about 5 inches and it was a few shallow scratches, he didn't bite me hard I was just cleaning. I keep a good eye on him now, although I doubt it would matter if he really wnats to get me.fast as hell and I'm sure that max is faster! That's insane really, you gotta be careful with that guy, really really careful haha. I've heard stories of death blows being dealt to small people in the wild. I'm sure many a fisherman has been bitten up by GATF. Such an impressive animal, I would love to house one... if I was rich. Really rich. To give it a really proper setup.

FATF are a realistic goal then? :) I'm pumped to try... idk how a red wolf and FATF in the same tank would work though! I would sell him when the FATF got big enough to eat it. What's your take on FATF w/ bichirs? I truly love them, more then characins but they are a close second, if they could live in harmony a FATF w/ a small school of chalceus, a small school of false gars, and bichirs on bottom (the chalceus and gar would kinda be dithers.. along w/ my 3 geophagus lol) would be a really, really crazy tank.

Sidenote, I can't believe how cheap tiger shovel nose are at my LFS, 12$ for 3 inchers.. such a horrible fish to be so cheap. People probably keep them in like 20s for life all the time

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Oh wow I can imagine! My red (who's name is Morgoth lol) got me at about 5 inches and it was a few shallow scratches, he didn't bite me hard I was just cleaning. I keep a good eye on him now, although I doubt it would matter if he really wnats to get me.fast as hell and I'm sure that max is faster! That's insane really, you gotta be careful with that guy, really really careful haha. I've heard stories of death blows being dealt to small people in the wild. I'm sure many a fisherman has been bitten up by GATF. Such an impressive animal, I would love to house one... if I was rich. Really rich. To give it a really proper setup.

FATF are a realistic goal then? :) I'm pumped to try... idk how a red wolf and FATF in the same tank would work though! I would sell him when the FATF got big enough to eat it. What's your take on FATF w/ bichirs? I truly love them, more then characins but they are a close second, if they could live in harmony a FATF w/ a small school of chalceus, a small school of false gars, and bichirs on bottom (the chalceus and gar would kinda be dithers.. along w/ my 3 geophagus lol) would be a really, really crazy tank.

Sidenote, I can't believe how cheap tiger shovel nose are at my LFS, 12$ for 3 inchers.. such a horrible fish to be so cheap. People probably keep them in like 20s for life all the time

I think a fatf would work perfectly with your bottom dwellers- assuming the polys or wolf doesn't eat him! Of all the tigers I've kept, not a single one has even acknowledged that my bottom feeders exist. The only possible exception would be my red tail black shark that's been tagged by Max a time or two, but I consider him more of a lower mid swimming fish than a true bottom fish. He occupies the same parts of the tank as Max.

Max can move amazingly fast, faster than the eye can see. I can't wait to see him go nuts after I move and get my 510 up and running!

Tigers will treat anything that looks like them as another tiger. In other words, if it has that same generally shark like shape, they're liable to be targets. Shiny fish are liable to be targets as well, regardless of shape. Keep that in mind when mixing tigers with other things.

I see no reason why you planned combo wouldn't work. I keep assuming you're getting a 125 because of how common of a size that is, but if I were you, I'd push for a 180. The extra 6" all around would really make this combo work well. I'd keep it to a single fatf however, and make sure you have at least part of the tank set up with strong current for the fish to exercise in. Having plenty of relatively dead spots for the polys and pikes won't be a problem for the tiger, I've got slack spots in my tank for my arowana with no issues. If you tried this in the 125, I'd be leery that it might be too cramped. If you tried it in a 180 though, I think you'll be fine in all but the longest of the long term (Pushing ten years). I expect that given sufficient time, a fatf could approach 2', but it would take a very, very long time, and then only if its a female.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Also, I realized I missed your "what is a tat?"

Tat refers to Hydrolycys tatauaia, a red tail payara. Its fair to think of them as a mini armatus that wont really get over a foot, except in the longest of the long term. Just like a fatf. It could be the perfect mid size crown jewel characin to live with your fatf. :) IMHO, I think they have nicer colors than an army, too. Don't kill me guys! ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store