good deal for fly river turtle??

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
in canada you cna't get snakeheads but you CAN get FRT!!!

Creek_stomper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
I agree about the tank deal. Most people in the know on Pig-nosed turtles have stated that they'd never dream of keeping one in less than 200g. They can be very easy to keep, but they can also be your worse nightmare. Turtles are notorious for hiding symptoms of illness, and FRTs are hard to bring back from illness. Many just get sick and die. For this reason, you need to be ready to accept that this thing could end up being sick, die on you, and you'd be out the money. There's no sure thing when it comes to turtles, especially pig-nosed turtles.

Josh H

tanglovers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Michigan
I got a 10" FRT about a year ago. He is in my 520 gallon tank (96" x 42" x 30") and I would not imagine keeping one in a tank smaller. Mine was a hatchling 7 years ago from what I was told by the previous owner so growth is pretty good. I would imagine mine has put on an inch or so in the year I have had it.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
will they kill my bichirs or mulitate tham?? i've heard that FRTs are slow grows growing a few inches a year. Can I keep the FRT for 4 years and upgrade to a much larger tank???

twilight zone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2011
somewhere in the zone
I had two different frt and one of them likes to chew on my giraffe cat and bichirs. I had to get rid of my birchirs for that reason. One of my frt constantly swims like a sea turtle and the other sits. Everyone is different. In terms of the young frt turtle, you have to make sure they have be acclimated for a few months. They can die with various issues such as respiratory infection and ph shock. I heard they are raised in high ph water in the exporters' facility. Good Luck with the frt if you decide to get it but a dead turtle is worthless no matter what deal you got.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store