good deal for fly river turtle??

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Do they need plenty of oxygen??? absolutely intolorent to slow fish (bichirs)???

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Do they need plenty of oxygen??? absolutely intolorent to slow fish (bichirs)???
LOLs LOLs. ha! what I mean is that my dad some times turn my filter off cuz he thinks it's too loud. Can they live?? dumb question.

Creek_stomper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
Okay, a couple things...

A.) You seem to be thinking that the oxygen level of the water will somehow affect the turtle in a similar fashion to how it affects fish. Seeing as their respiratory functions are almost entirely different, it won't have any effect.

B.) Letting the tank sit unfiltered for any large amount of time is a good way to kill a pig-nosed turtle. They are extremely sensitive to poor water quality and chemical balance, and if anything you should be over-filtering to ensure the best water quality.

Josh H

Reactions: Matteus

davdev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2010
Somewhere in New England
LOLs LOLs. ha! what I mean is that my dad some times turn my filter off cuz he thinks it's too loud. Can they live?? dumb question.

Filtration has nothing to do with Oxygen, it has to do with the breakdown of Amonia. Turning off your filter for even a short period of time is a great way to kill everything in the tank. NEVER TURN OFF THE FILTER. Have you ever even taken measurements of your water quality? Turn the filter off and on is most likely killing all the BB and causing the tank to be in a continuos cycle.

Reactions: Matteus

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I agree about the tank deal. Most people in the know on Pig-nosed turtles have stated that they'd never dream of keeping one in less than 200g. They can be very easy to keep, but they can also be your worse nightmare. Turtles are notorious for hiding symptoms of illness, and FRTs are hard to bring back from illness. Many just get sick and die. For this reason, you need to be ready to accept that this thing could end up being sick, die on you, and you'd be out the money. There's no sure thing when it comes to turtles, especially pig-nosed turtles.

Josh H
IMO - This is a very good response from Creek_Stomper to your questions. Ask the LFS how long they've had the FRT as a starting point and go from there. I've seen large FRT in a 75g and 150g. FYI- Both set ups had no tankmates for an apparent reason due to it being too small. There seems to be a pattern that they get mean when they're not given the proper space. If you decide to keep good luck! If you decide to sell for some $$$, good luck too!

Rickbon3z

Feeder Fish
Jul 17, 2018
Hey guys I live in canada and recently a found a guy that sold 4 inch fly river turtles for 300 bucks. i bargained for 150 but he said he'll sell one to me for 200. Is that a good deal??? I want one bad!! What the growth rate for the turtle?? does it injure fish. I have a couple of 4 inch bichirs in my 75 gallon tank. will they cohab?? Thanks. If i buy it for 2oo, is there a good chance I can gain profit and sell the turtle for 300 or more buck???

thanks
You still have contact with the guy or you have 1 baby ??

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
It's important to note that, if not captive bred, you will be personally contributing to the rare/endangered status of that animal. That changes the game re. husbandry or death, as you are accepting a larger responsibility. If you were ready for it, I'd say buy & grow out to then sell/give to a breeder/facility. However, from what I read: DO NOT BUY as you are not equipped for this responsibility.

Love from Captain Buzzkill ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store