Green Severum after losing spawn

beckerus

Feeder Fish
Sep 8, 2017
Hello everyone,

we are currently on our 2nd batch of green severum fry, last time we left them in the community tank and the severum lost them all to the ropefish we keep (most likely during the night) this time however we decided to setup a breeding tank, ive read that the fry are selfsustaining if they are free swimming so we syphoned most of them out and left a few in (too much of a hassle to get them all). this time however after our green severum lost the remaining fry they had our female "decolored" ive never seen her like this she looks incredibly stressed. the male does harras her now and then but not continuously. Is it normal for the female to stress out this much after losing her fry? should i think about moving her out of the larger tank? its 400L with lots of hiding spots even for her. and if i moved her to the tank the fry are in (150L a bit small for her tbh) would she leave the fry which are now 2 weeks old alone?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello everyone,

we are currently on our 2nd batch of green severum fry, last time we left them in the community tank and the severum lost them all to the ropefish we keep (most likely during the night) this time however we decided to setup a breeding tank, ive read that the fry are selfsustaining if they are free swimming so we syphoned most of them out and left a few in (too much of a hassle to get them all). this time however after our green severum lost the remaining fry they had our female "decolored" ive never seen her like this she looks incredibly stressed. the male does harras her now and then but not continuously. Is it normal for the female to stress out this much after losing her fry? should i think about moving her out of the larger tank? its 400L with lots of hiding spots even for her. and if i moved her to the tank the fry are in (150L a bit small for her tbh) would she leave the fry which are now 2 weeks old alone?

As long as the male is not being overly aggressive and occasional like you stated I personally would leave her in the aquarium. The aquarium would be too small and the female would probably harrass or even kill some of the fry also the bioload would be increased dramatically. Just keep your eye on the male if aggression gets intense you could partition them off with a divider.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If you want the fry to really get the best growth feed well do water changes and if possible get a larger aquarium for them to grow out in.

beckerus

Feeder Fish
Sep 8, 2017
If you want the fry to really get the best growth feed well do water changes and if possible get a larger aquarium for them to grow out in.
ill be selling them to my LFS for credit he is really interested in them since Green Severum arnt seen alot here. you think 150L is too small for this?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
ill be selling them to my LFS for credit he is really interested in them since Green Severum arnt seen alot here. you think 150L is too small for this?

Great to hear that and yes a larger aquarium would be better but for now just keep up with water quality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store