Green Terror tank mates

Gundog21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
It has been a long time since ive had setup a tank. The GT was always my favorite. I have a 60 gallon and plan on getting a GT and a blue JD ( i understand risks of aggression). i also want to have a con and a firemouth in the same tank. I plan on introducing all at same time. Does anybody have any input? I have inserts and plants for hiding places. and i understand ill eventually have to remove either the GT or Blue dempsey( preferbley the dempsey) does anyone have any experience with the combo? any suggestions as far as care and or other possible tank mates that could work with the fish id wish could get along undoubtabley?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Not going to be enough space long term in my opinion. I have kept convicts with GTs, firemouths, dempseys before, if the con is larger than them he will be a total dick. Better to leave con out or make sure it's the smallest fish. I think you would be better off picking your favorite of these and doing it alone or in a pair with some dither fish

Gundog21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
Not going to be enough space long term in my opinion. I have kept convicts with GTs, firemouths, dempseys before, if the con is larger than them he will be a total dick. Better to leave con out or make sure it's the smallest fish. I think you would be better off picking your favorite of these and doing it alone or in a pair with some dither fish
i understand that long term it wont be a big enough tank for every one to have space but while i can id like to have them. i appreciate the feedback. i do plan to intro all the fish at the same size. ive just always had something for those 4 that make me wanna try for the setup. do you have any other recommendations as far as other tank mates? or will it be smart to possibly throw in some other passive fish to distract the aggressors?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Tank is barely big enough for a solo gt.
I think it's a bit small for 1 adult male.
Fish will die in the confines of that tank.
It's not big enough as a temporary solution for those fish.
I would look for a plan b or buy a much bigger tank.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
i understand that long term it wont be a big enough tank for every one to have space but while i can id like to have them. i appreciate the feedback. i do plan to intro all the fish at the same size. ive just always had something for those 4 that make me wanna try for the setup. do you have any other recommendations as far as other tank mates? or will it be smart to possibly throw in some other passive fish to distract the aggressors?
The four that you want will more than fill up the tank, wouldn't do any other fish. Again, I'd urge you to reconsider. It will probably be stressful as the fish grow watching them fight, and there will likely be casualties eventually. You need a bigger tank to keep these large fish together.

Here's an idea- do an acara instead of the green terror, do an EBJD instead of a regular JD, and do a nanoluteus instead of a convict. That mix would have a much better chance of working out long term. Some would still call that overstocked, but the fish would generally be much less aggressive and less likely to kill each other.

Gundog21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
The GT is the one fish that i would want the most. Probability of a GT, EBJD, along with an acara and a firemouth working out? i know eventually it will be overstocked but i dont mind getting rid of fish to make more room for just the GT and/or the EBJD. i dont mean to sound stubborn and i definitely am not looking for an unhealthy setup for my fish, hence the thread and how much i appreciate the feedback. the con is definitely not one that i need to have. but a GT is the one fish i would like to have and paired with another until there is not enough room. and for time being as i get it as a baby i would like to have other fish in tank.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Acara + GT + EBJD + Firemouth is better than the original idea with the convict and regular JD, but it's still not good permanent stock. Would probably be okay until the fish are around 5" or so, but would have to keep an eye on them aggression-wise.
What are the dimensions of the tank?

Gundog21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
Acara + GT + EBJD + Firemouth is better than the original idea with the convict and regular JD, but it's still not good permanent stock. Would probably be okay until the fish are around 5" or so, but would have to keep an eye on them aggression-wise.
What are the dimensions of the tank?
Its 21 in height and walls are 30in with a bow'd side to sit in corner

Gundog21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
If i get the fish as small as an inch or two how fast will the the fish grow. i know it depends on feeding and every fish is a bit different for rate of growth from what ive read already online. but do you have a estimate?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store