Green terror?

Ragincajun92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
Green terror is without a question my favorite fish to keep. I had a beautiful female for 3 years until she got stuck in one of my tree logs that I had in the tank. After that I pretty much took my 55 tank down and gave it away. Well one of my friends was moving and gave me his 30 gallon tank. I have had it set up for a year and a half now and have 2 firemouths in it and a Bristol nose. I have made the comment to my wife a few times that while I like the fire mouths I still missed having a green terror. So fast forward to present day. My wife bought me a 65 gallon Aqueon tank and stand from pet smart almost 2 weeks ago so we could get a green terror again (she liked the green Terror as well because it would come up to her and flair her gills at her and follow her when she walked by). The foot print is 36 3\8 wide 18 3\8 deep and 25” tall. She bought it cause she liked the look of the tank and she liked the stand it came with. I know this is not the ideal foot print for a green terror but I don’t have the heart to tell her I needed a longer tank. So that being said how do you think 1 green Terror will do in this tank with the other fish I already have? I’m going to be giving the 30 tank to my nephew as he wants a tank for his room. Just wanted to hear some feedback on what you guys thought and will the work. I have wood work and rocks.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Green terror is without a question my favorite fish to keep. I had a beautiful female for 3 years until she got stuck in one of my tree logs that I had in the tank. After that I pretty much took my 55 tank down and gave it away. Well one of my friends was moving and gave me his 30 gallon tank. I have had it set up for a year and a half now and have 2 firemouths in it and a Bristol nose. I have made the comment to my wife a few times that while I like the fire mouths I still missed having a green terror. So fast forward to present day. My wife bought me a 65 gallon Aqueon tank and stand from pet smart almost 2 weeks ago so we could get a green terror again (she liked the green Terror as well because it would come up to her and flair her gills at her and follow her when she walked by). The foot print is 36 3\8 wide 18 3\8 deep and 25” tall. She bought it cause she liked the look of the tank and she liked the stand it came with. I know this is not the ideal foot print for a green terror but I don’t have the heart to tell her I needed a longer tank. So that being said how do you think 1 green Terror will do in this tank with the other fish I already have? I’m going to be giving the 30 tank to my nephew as he wants a tank for his room. Just wanted to hear some feedback on what you guys thought and will the work. I have wood work and rocks.

Welcome aboard :)

Reactions: Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
Thanks for the link. Like I said I had a female green terror for 3 years in a 55 gallon tank. She was 7 maybe 8 inches before she got stuck and died. She was the coolest fish I have kept by far and fun to watch. She acted more like a Oscar than and terror. If I’m able to get another one it will be a female again. If I had bought the tank I would have got a 90 gallon or possibly a 120. I wasn’t even considering another big tank but my wife decided to surprise me anyway. She doesn’t know much about keeping fish other than feeding them and watching them. There is just no way I could tell her that I wish she had bought me a different size tank when she went and picked out the one she thought I would like and looked the best to her. In her mind my other tank was a 55 gallon so a 65 should be even better. I will say it is a pretty tank and does look good with the matching stand.

Reactions: tlindsey

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
A female could work but a male is pushing it imo.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
It could possibly work temporarily with a female green terror. My female only hit 6” after a year.
I don’t know what kinda of temperament firemouths have, but you’d have till the female hit 5” and starts laying eggs before she gets overly aggressive. At that point she would need at least the 4’ tank to give any other cichlid a chance at coexisting. At least that’s how it worked out in my experience.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I love gt too but I've never had much luck with them, I think it's because my tap water is 30ppm nitrate, I have trouble keeping nitrates below 40ppm. they always seem to get struck down with disease.

Ragincajun92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
If I can get one it will for sure be a female as I know the males tend to get bigger. I know this is not the ideal foot print but my wife will know something Is up if I don’t put a green terror in there. At the same time I don’t want a miserable fish either

Reactions: tlindsey

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Blue acara look very similar, she would never know. Could possibly do a couple blue acara;-)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store