Green Texas or Hybrid

Quise50

Feeder Fish
Jan 13, 2020
Hello MFK members..I was sold this fish as a Green Texas but he/she looks like a hybrid to me. Maybe Flowerhorn, Vieja ×Texas or unfaded Red Texas ??‍♂. He bullies every fish in the tank except for a Vieja Hartwegi if that means anything. New to the game and would love to know what you guys think.

20200112_231858(0).jpg

20200112_231855.jpg

20200112_231737.jpg

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Hello MFK members..I was sold this fish as a Green Texas but he/she looks like a hybrid to me. Maybe Flowerhorn, Vieja ×Texas or unfaded Red Texas ??‍♂. He bullies every fish in the tank except for a Vieja Hartwegi if that means anything. New to the game and would love to know what you guys think.

View attachment 1401428

View attachment 1401429

View attachment 1401430
That looks like a hybrid to me. It is definitely not a H. Carpintis or H. Cyanoguttatus (not sure which you are referring two as both are commonly given the name. Although H. Carpintis is not even native to Texas.

Reactions: Quise50

Quise50

Feeder Fish
Jan 13, 2020
That looks like a hybrid to me. It is definitely not a H. Carpintis or H. Cyanoguttatus (not sure which you are referring two as both are commonly given the name. Although H. Carpintis is not even native to Texas.
Thanks for the response!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree, looks like a FH, where the predominance of genes passed on are from Herichthys.
Here is a normal color male carpintus.

Below a female in spawning dress.

Pair caring for a spawn.

One of the reasons for not using common names like green or blue Texas, beyond that fact of carpintus not coming from Texas, is that there are a number of others in the genus Herichthys, that look similar, about a half dozen species.
Below H.tamasopoensus

And the detritus eating form of H minckleyi below

Reactions: Quise50

Quise50

Feeder Fish
Jan 13, 2020
I agree, looks like a FH, where the predominance of genes passed on are from Herichthys.
Here is a normal color male carpintus.

Below a female in spawning dress.

Pair caring for a spawn.

One of the reasons for not using common names like green or blue Texas, beyond that fact of carpintus not coming from Texas, is that there are a number of others in the genus Herichthys, that look similar, about a half dozen species.
Below H.tamasopoensus

And the detritus eating form of H minckleyi below
Thanks! I was thinking of taking him back to the LFS but I'm starting to dig the lil guys personality

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store