CrazyFishLady90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2017
Have had my gulper almost 4 weeks and I think he finally ate his first meal last night.

Anyone know what they act like after they've eaten?

It was just a gourami so not big, but he seems stressed and the only thing other than eating must be pH which I've managed to keep at 7 even though my water is closer to 8. Temp is good.

Having a hard time getting TDS down and afraid to start experimenting with RO because I dont want a drastic change.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I can't say I saw a significant change in mine after a meal. Gulpers only have three gears - squeeze in between something and stay tight and motionless, swim in one spot, and swim around the tank or in circles against the glass - and they switch them around as they please before or after a meal.

What do you mean when you say yours seems stressed?

IDK your level of expertise in the hobby but regardless of it, I personally would never advise anyone to artificially maintain a pH or TDS. It's just wrought with many things that can and do go wrong.

If your pH is unstable and swings, it would surely stress any fish.

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
I can't say I saw a significant change in mine after a meal. Gulpers only have three gears - squeeze in between something and stay tight and motionless, swim in one spot, and swim around the tank or in circles against the glass - and they switch them around as they please before or after a meal.
My gulper would swim in circles around the glass a lot. I can't help but think this was a bad thing. Didn't look healthy. I feel like the limit of the tank prevented it from doing some type of function.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
My gulper would swim in circles around the glass a lot. I can't help but think this was a bad thing. Didn't look healthy. I feel like the limit of the tank prevented it from doing some type of function.
From the observations of mine doing it in a 240 gal (4"-6" fish in an 8'x2'x2') and from reading of the gulpers of others doing it too while all else seems fine, I concluded that this is not a symptom of anything unhealthy. This model may evolve the more I learn :)

For a contrast, I think when an IDS is doing it or other Pangasiidae, I think they ain't got enough room or if the tank is spacious enough, they are being bullied and are looking for an escape through the glass that to them looks like open water and they just need to find a passage to it and flee.

It really depends on what size of a meal you give them. As long as your gulper doesn't just sit on the ground you're fine. They seem to like softer, more acidic water (at least in my experience), and if they don't like water conditions they get really jumpy. When mine eat they spin in circles for a few seconds and then go right back to doing their thing. You want to give these guys more larger, rare feedings then lots of small ones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store