Guppy breeding tank set up.

Daniel36

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2018
Hawaii
I consider myself very new to the hobby, I have my flowerhorn set up in a 56gal tank and recently a guppy pair. My thinking was I would breed them, they seem fun and easy. I have a 29gal tank thank I’ve cycled for about a week prior. The salesperson that sold me the fish asked me how long I have cycled the tank and when I told her she seemed upset. Telling me that I should cycle the tank for 3-4 weeks. As I know guppies are fairly hardy I was not concerned and felt both a little insulted and embarrassed. My biggest concern is I’m moving the flowerhorn to a 100gal tank. The plan was to move what water I have in the 56 and top off the rest with new water. The filters I run are graded for a much larger tank so I’m thinking I won’t have any issues. Any advice would be much appreciated. Also should I buy more guppies or is one pair good enough?

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I consider myself very new to the hobby, I have my flowerhorn set up in a 56gal tank and recently a guppy pair. My thinking was I would breed them, they seem fun and easy. I have a 29gal tank thank I’ve cycled for about a week prior. The salesperson that sold me the fish asked me how long I have cycled the tank and when I told her she seemed upset. Telling me that I should cycle the tank for 3-4 weeks. As I know guppies are fairly hardy I was not concerned and felt both a little insulted and embarrassed. My biggest concern is I’m moving the flowerhorn to a 100gal tank. The plan was to move what water I have in the 56 and top off the rest with new water. The filters I run are graded for a much larger tank so I’m thinking I won’t have any issues. Any advice would be much appreciated. Also should I buy more guppies or is one pair good enough?
The water in the flowerhorn tank is worthless bacteria doesn't live in the water. It resides on the surfaces of decor and on your biomedia.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

I also believed that live bacteria was mobile in aquarium water lol. You could take a little bio media from the FlowerHorn aquarium to give the Cycle a boost but not instant. A pair of Guppy will produce more fry than you'll probably want.

Daniel36

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2018
Hawaii
That’s
The water in the flowerhorn tank is worthless bacteria doesn't live in the water. It resides on the surfaces of decor and on your biomedia.
good to know, won’t waste my time trying to transfer water. Thanks for the info ?

Daniel36

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2018
Hawaii
I also believed that live bacteria was mobile in aquarium water lol. You could take a little bio media from the FlowerHorn aquarium to give the Cycle a boost but not instant. A pair of Guppy will produce more fry than you'll probably want.
I think that’s what I’ll end up doing. The male guppy I got is super awesome looking so I’m hoping that’ll be passed down. ?

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
felt both a little insulted and embarrassed
Save yourself a lot of time and headache by getting rid of these two emotions right now. You’ve said that you’re very new to the hobby, acknowledge that and acknowledge that others know more than you and you should listen to those who know more. If you let yourself feel insulted, embarrassed, etc, then they will only hinder your progress in the hobby. Feel free to ask any questions you want on this site, you will be helped.

I say these things not to insult you but to help you, when you open your mind up and are willing to accept help and knowledge then and only then will you truly start to become a good fish keeper.

I hope what I have said was not too harsh as it was not my intention comrade.

Humphreys91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2012
England :)
She was right mate, regardless if a fish is hardy or not it shouldn’t be put into a knowingly uncycled tank.

Reactions: Daniel36

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The salesperson that sold me the fish asked me how long I have cycled the tank and when I told her she seemed upset. Telling me that I should cycle the tank for 3-4 weeks.
Fish store employees tend to be looked upon with disdain, and in most cases for good reason. However the advice this woman gave you was pretty good. She quoted 3-4 weeks. In reality all tanks are different due to numerous variables. I'd say 3-4 weeks is a good starting point, but it can take longer than that too, or shorter even, if you are seeding your new tank with other mature media from an existing tank. Your parameters will give you the most definitive answer so you need to test your water to see where you're at during the cycle.

Using "hardy" fish is frowned upon by many because hardy or not, living in an aquarium which is going through the early stages of cycling can't be a pleasant experience for any fish, hardy or otherwise.

Good luck.

Reactions: Daniel36

Daniel36

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2018
Hawaii
Fish store employees tend to be looked upon with disdain, and in most cases for good reason. However the advice this woman gave you was pretty good. She quoted 3-4 weeks. In reality all tanks are different due to numerous variables. I'd say 3-4 weeks is a good starting point, but it can take longer than that too, or shorter even, if you are seeding your new tank with other mature media from an existing tank. Your parameters will give you the most definitive answer so you need to test your water to see where you're at during the cycle.

Using "hardy" fish is frowned upon by many because hardy or not, living in an aquarium which is going through the early stages of cycling can't be a pleasant experience for any fish, hardy or otherwise.

Good luck.
I think I just needed to take a step back and realize she wasn’t personally attacking me. The tank is running smoothly thus far, everyone’s eating looking good. Can’t wait to see some fry in the mix!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store