Gymnogeophagus Terrapurpura Growout!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Those are some nice fish! Beautiful shape and colour.

I am jealous of you and C. Breeze C. Breeze with your lovely weather. My Gymnos are sitting in their relatively dark and depressing basement digs for the winter, eyeing me with sullen expressions as though to say "Why did you bring us down here?"

If the livebearers you are talking about are the ones visible in post#44, those are Xiphophorus variatus, Variatus Platies and they are quite tolerant of cool water during at least part of the year. They do well outdoors for me during the summer up here in the Martian conditions we experience. They are not just a variant, but a different species distinct from most of the platies you see which are either X.maculatus or even hybrids of maculatus and X.helleri swordtails.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Hello,

I couldn’t get any pictures, but they are all doing fine! They flash colors when the sun is out. Most of the time they stay on the side of the tank closest to the sun. That’s the part with all the Anacharis and algae growth. I do have a question. Mine have slowed there eating. When I put in the normal amount of flakes, some may eat and some will just come out and look. Should I be worried?

Reactions: Deadeye

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
Hello,

I couldn’t get any pictures, but they are all doing fine! They flash colors when the sun is out. Most of the time they stay on the side of the tank closest to the sun. That’s the part with all the Anacharis and algae growth. I do have a question. Mine have slowed there eating. When I put in the normal amount of flakes, some may eat and some will just come out and look. Should I be worried?
I wouldn’t worry. I’d pay attention to when you feed them at what temperature they are when you do. I don’t feed when they are 60 even though they will eat. Just pay attention to the water temperature and feed accordingly they eat way way less now than in the summer.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
They aren’t as active, so I don’t normally watch them eat. But when I do it takes them longer than usual. I stopped feeding from every day to every 2 days. This seems to satisfy them.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
As the temperatures drop gradually it's easy to lose track of how much their appetites decrease. When fall approaches, I am always a bit concerned about heavy feeding on a warm day; the next day the temps are much colder and I am envisioning the fish stomachs full of food that is now rotting rather than being digested...

Yeah...I worry too much...:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store