Gymnothorax Polyuranodon Fighting (video)

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Yeah it's possible lol. I don't keep mine with any, and they only ever were able to eat the guppies and stuff when I held them tongs. I wouldn't risk it then if the fish are that small to be honest. There are some smaller eels too like zig zags and stuff, but I have found that the colors are not up to par with the ones we mentioned.
Ooo I’ll take a look at zigzags. What other eels are there that can live in community tanks with Low chance they attack small fish?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Peacock or half banded are the only freshwater eel like fish that can go in a 55 for life (excluding bichir). Polyuronadon are huge, though inactive, I wouldn’t feel comfortable keeping on in a tank it potentially gets longer than.

Poly is the only true freshwater moray.

G.Tile or e nebulosa work in 55, but are brackish or marine respectively. Both will be fine with mollies.

Most true eels like morays are strict predators and will not hesitate to go after a fish, though the small guys tend to prefer crustaceans.

Fighting may be a dominance, territory, or feeding thing.

Reactions: tlindsey

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Good call on not getting the tile, I have one that's been in brackish pretty much sense purchase, and I'm just glad that I knew that they couldn't live in fresh previously. Unfortunately, many people learn the hard way.

Reactions: Deadeye

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Since it's a 55 gallon, I don't think a fire eel would work. I've seen it done, and I mean.... It's been done lol. but it's certainly not ideal as they grow big ( and they grow that big sort of quick )

Gymnothorax Polyuranodon on the other hand I think would be perfect. They can grow to 3-5 feet, however I have never heard of one growing that large in an aquarium (and a freshwater one at that, since when they mature they move to brackish and when they get really big, I believe they even move to full SW).

One FW moray eel would be a great fit. They are pricey though. Shoot me a PM if you are interested as I will be importing some soon.
Not quite sure I follow or agree with, your logic here.

Fire eels grow to around a meter long give or take and whilst one in a 55g would be able to turn around it’s not ideal. And they do eat smaller fish.
Gumnothorax Tile grows around 2ft give or take and do do well in fresh water until older so is probably the best fit for a 55 but again not ideal.
Gymnothorax polyuranodon grow to over five feet in length so whilst they will be ok in a 55 for a short while, expect them to need something considerably larger (200+). Also, don’t expect in good conditions and when settled, anything less than the same growth rate as a fire eel (so your 55will not last more than a few years).
Yes, you can keep them in freshwater their whole life but if you were thinking of trying to breed them then you would need saltwater as it’s in their instincts to move to brackish as you say when they mature.
Don’t keep them with anything they can fit in their mouths as those crap eyes are made up for and more in the dark and a tank of guppies and mollies won’t last long.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020

Fire eels grow to around a meter long give or take and whilst one in a 55g would be able to turn around it’s not ideal. And they do eat smaller fish.
Gumnothorax Tile grows around 2ft give or take and do do well in fresh water until older so is probably the best fit for a 55 but again not ideal.
Gymnothorax polyuranodon grow to over five feet in length so whilst they will be ok in a 55 for a short while, expect them to need something considerably larger (200+). Also, don’t expect in good conditions and when settled, anything less than the same growth rate as a fire eel (so your 55will not last more than a few years).
Yes, you can keep them in freshwater their whole life but if you were thinking of trying to breed them then you would need saltwater as it’s in their instincts to move to brackish as you say when they mature.
Don’t keep them with anything they can fit in their mouths as those crap eyes are made up for and more in the dark and a tank of guppies and mollies won’t last long.
+1
Morays can’t see super well, but that smell too is insane.
Only reason livebearers are good is that they breed like rabbits and may not all get killed.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020

WOW thanks for everyone’s help. So from what I’ve learnt: gymnothorax polyuranodon are the only true freshwater species, hence would be able to live in a 55g for a few years before it needs to be upgraded. However, it is to big for a 55g, and may prey on the smaller fish I have.
Fire eels are out of qn, they grow too large and will eat my fish.
gymnothorax tile are fine in a 55g, they won’t eat my small fish and do not grow considerably large. However, when older they require a brackish water environment.
Peacock, half banded and zig zag eels are the best option for my 55g.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Good call on not getting the tile, I have one that's been in brackish pretty much sense purchase, and I'm just glad that I knew that they couldn't live in fresh previously. Unfortunately, many people learn the hard way.
Although peacocks and half badness are best for the tank I have, I really like the look of morays. So gymnothorax tile really won’t be able to live in my 55g ? Or is it possible I give it a shot? If not I’ll just stick to peacocks or half bandeds.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Although peacocks and half badness are best for the tank I have, I really like the look of morays. So gymnothorax tile really won’t be able to live in my 55g ? Or is it possible I give it a shot? If not I’ll just stick to peacocks or half bandeds.
Tile can work, if you are willing to make it a brackish tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store