Gymnothorax Polyuranodon Fighting (video)

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
If they could live in fw for life I’m pretty sure I would have like 10 by now lol

• Haha
Reactions: Caveden

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Ah I see. I think I would get a peacock or half banded, thanks for everyone’s help :)
No problem and good luck, if you ever happen to want a "FW" moray in the future that can last you a little while, I hear the Whitecheek eel can live in fresh for a decent amount of time, but should still be converted to brackish within the first two or three years. From the Echidna family so not as aggressive towards other fish compared to tile and poly, but still risky.

PartyHacks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2019
What if I am not able to? Then is it still possible tile can live in freshwater?
Not quite sure I follow or agree with, your logic here.

Fire eels grow to around a meter long give or take and whilst one in a 55g would be able to turn around it’s not ideal. And they do eat smaller fish.
Gumnothorax Tile grows around 2ft give or take and do do well in fresh water until older so is probably the best fit for a 55 but again not ideal.
Gymnothorax polyuranodon grow to over five feet in length so whilst they will be ok in a 55 for a short while, expect them to need something considerably larger (200+). Also, don’t expect in good conditions and when settled, anything less than the same growth rate as a fire eel (so your 55will not last more than a few years).
Yes, you can keep them in freshwater their whole life but if you were thinking of trying to breed them then you would need saltwater as it’s in their instincts to move to brackish as you say when they mature.
Don’t keep them with anything they can fit in their mouths as those crap eyes are made up for and more in the dark and a tank of guppies and mollies won’t last long.
They will never grow anywhere near what the internet says in a FW aquarium was my point. But yeah, it is a stretch for a 55 gallon.

Are you sure they grow that quickly?

Thanks for the help.

Also not much is available regarding the actual breeding. I would love to breed some, but there is very little information on sexing them, and also their breeding behavior etc.

I would love to be the first to breed them in an aquarium. Would be an amazing accomplishment.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I hope I got the right thing, but I don’t think i bought correctly ?. It has the characteristics of the peacock/ half banded eel but there’s spines on it, so I’m unsure. Anyone can identify? I think it may be a lesser spiny eel. I’ll take better pics at home

CB944403-64C6-41B3-9604-B68FB2D3EF2F.jpeg

1C67EEFA-FBFB-475A-BCB0-90F4A5AB8B40.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I hope I got the right thing, but I don’t think i bought correctly ?. It has the characteristics of the peacock/ half banded eel but there’s spines on it, so I’m unsure. Anyone can identify? I think it may be a lesser spiny eel. I’ll take better pics at home

View attachment 1458719

View attachment 1458720
kno4te kno4te

Reactions: kno4te

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Take some better pics and maybe set up a thread for it outside this one.
However, happy to be corrected but I would assume it to be between macrognathus circumcinctus and m. Taeniagaster.
Neither of which is a bad choice. Both growing to 8” max. Generally quite peaceful.

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Looks like a half banded. I don’t know of other commonly sold ones with that pattern.

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store