Half banded Spiny eels possible breeding??

Agorman

Feeder Fish
Jun 7, 2020
Hi everyone, new to this site. I have a 90 gallon fish tank currently with rope fish and half banded spiny eels and I am documenting all kinds of things I haven’t been able to see anywhere else online.

I have noticed that my eels are starting to turn colors when they want, they almost camouflage. I at first thought they were sick and it was fungus, and then in front of my own eyes they changed. It’s like they have select patches over there body that is significantly lighter in color, to several patches. And then I’ve watched them darken those patches when they transition to different areas.

I have 3 eels that are roughly a year old (I got them all when they were approximately an inch long), and they are extremely docile. They also choose to coexist with the rope fish additionally which I find interesting. I have multiple caves and hiding places and it’s heavily planted, and they have always stayed on the bottom of my tank or in their houses.

As of today, I have one who is showing a lot of color changing and now living in the tops of a HUGE sprite that I have, and looks like it’s maybe looking to spawn.

All 3 are extremely healthy and eat very well.

Anyone else have advanced experience with their half banded spiny eels??

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi everyone, new to this site. I have a 90 gallon fish tank currently with rope fish and half banded spiny eels and I am documenting all kinds of things I haven’t been able to see anywhere else online.

I have noticed that my eels are starting to turn colors when they want, they almost camouflage. I at first thought they were sick and it was fungus, and then in front of my own eyes they changed. It’s like they have select patches over there body that is significantly lighter in color, to several patches. And then I’ve watched them darken those patches when they transition to different areas.

I have 3 eels that are roughly a year old (I got them all when they were approximately an inch long), and they are extremely docile. They also choose to coexist with the rope fish additionally which I find interesting. I have multiple caves and hiding places and it’s heavily planted, and they have always stayed on the bottom of my tank or in their houses.

As of today, I have one who is showing a lot of color changing and now living in the tops of a HUGE sprite that I have, and looks like it’s maybe looking to spawn.

All 3 are extremely healthy and eat very well.

Anyone else have advanced experience with their half banded spiny eels??

Welcome aboard

That sounds awesome! Personally never heard of any species of Spiney Eels spawning in captivity but sounds like something exciting is about to happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store