Hardiest fish species

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
This thread is for u to share what u think r the hardiest fish species,here r mine:guppy,paradise fish,spotted gar,cherry barb,Picasso trigger.

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
It kinda depends on how you define hardy. Do you mean the ability to thrive in poor water quality? Live in fluctuating temps or a range of pH? Adult fish or juvies? Lots of variables at play here but neat proposition!

Bull sharks pretty much live in any water, fresh or salt, not sure about their tolerance for pollution though.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
A pair of raccoons drained my pond 2 months ago, there was around 5" of water left "150 gallon pond" somehow my 2 koi and 8 comets survived, luckily I had the mesh over the pond

Yes good thing you were mindful to use the mesh.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Goldfish. Without a doubt. Emergency moved them from PH 4.0 Water to 8.2 and they survived. They are hardy suckers

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It kinda depends on how you define hardy. Do you mean the ability to thrive in poor water quality? Live in fluctuating temps or a range of pH? Adult fish or juvies? Lots of variables at play here but neat proposition!

Bull sharks pretty much live in any water, fresh or salt, not sure about their tolerance for pollution though.

Your so right, I chose the koi and carp because of seasonal changes they have to adapt to and they can live a long time.

Reactions: knobhill

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
There are countless stories about goldfish won at a fair the grew to 12" and lived for 10 years in a 20g tank...but how many thousands died the day they came home from being a prize at a fair?

What about fish that can survive out of water? Snakeheads, lungfish, and gars to a certain extent?

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Yes good thing you were mindful to use the mesh.
Yes, lost about 6 goldfish to these sneaky raccoons before the incident, they are very smart, they pulled the hose out of my waterfall feature which in turn completely drained my tank, supprised the fish also survived the new water that I had to add, of coarse it was conditioned though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store