Heater question/recommendation

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I have a 20 long in process of being setup, I installed a corner matten filter and I have roughly 2"×2" of space in the corner. I plan on having a heater, airstone and media in a bag hidden behind there, the only problem I'm having is finding a powerful enough heater that is short enough to fit behind there, the tank height is 11.5 inches, is 50 watts enough? I would need to bring my water up about 15 degrees.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I have a 20 long in process of being setup, I installed a corner matten filter and I have roughly 2"×2" of space in the corner. I plan on having a heater, airstone and media in a bag hidden behind there, the only problem I'm having is finding a powerful enough heater that is short enough to fit behind there, the tank height is 11.5 inches, is 50 watts enough? I would need to bring my water up about 15 degrees.
Here is the key about heating your tank, take your room temp then add 15 more degree, if temp higher than your set point then you're fine, if temp still below your set point then you will have problem heating up your tank with small watts heater.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Here is the key about heating your tank, take your room temp then add 15 more degree, if temp higher than your set point then you're fine, if temp still below your set point then you will have problem heating up your tank with small watts heater.
So my room stays between 65-70 ( it's in the basment) I like to run my tanks around 78-80
So adding 15 to 65 gives me 80. How does that tell me if a certain Size heater will be able to do that? Sorry I'm confused

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
So my room stays between 65-70 ( it's in the basment) I like to run my tanks around 78-80
So adding 15 to 65 gives me 80. How does that tell me if a certain Size heater will be able to do that? Sorry I'm confused
Here is general heater recommendation:

View attachment Chart.jpg

Not sure why it doesn't show a picture but it safe to click to view the image :p

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I have a 75w in my 55g. The two short sides are insulated and it is an acrylic tank, but we turn the heat off at night and it can get down to 55f. The heater is able to keep the tank at 78f steady. That chart wants much bigger heaters than you need. A 50w should be more than enough.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
I have a marineland visi therm 100 watt running on my guppy tank. Keeps it at a nice toasty 80 even with massive temp swings. It's by the back sliding door right now and it gets drafty occasionally.

My room at my parents has like zero insulation so I needed one at that wattage. I also used a 25 watt hydor theo off my 10 gallon and it kept it stable until I got that one. So 25-100 watt should be good.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I have a 75w in my 55g. The two short sides are insulated and it is an acrylic tank, but we turn the heat off at night and it can get down to 55f. The heater is able to keep the tank at 78f steady. That chart wants much bigger heaters than you need. A 50w should be more than enough.
It's all depend on surrounding room temp.
You said your room temp can drop down to 55F so if you want to try out a experiment test then try to run your heater when your room at 55F and see how the heater can do in that room temp, I'm pretty sure that 75W heater won't able to keep your tank temp consistence above 75F, I'm pretty sure your heater will stay at "ON" mode 24/7 and won't make it pass 78F (insulated does help but you can't take that into account cause the chart is base on normal tank setup without insulated).

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store