Hello from South Africa (Green terror gender I'd)

Deepsynthsec

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2022
Hello from South Africa.

I hope everybody is well. Fun fact I work as a bodyguard here and my boss told me today that we are officially more dangerous to live here then Afghanistan.

Hahaha.

Life is good is though.

I need help from the professionals. I have owned this green terror for almost a year now. I purchased him with a female. Or so I thought. The female / other fish only lasted about 2 months.

I want to try and attempt to find a female for him (if he is a male).

He has pretty much killed everything except for Cory's.

I bought two Oscars. They lasted 5 days.

So is this a male. And if I put a divider and just grow the female next to him will he kill her. Obviously you can't tell me but I love this guy so much and I would really love to find him a mate.

Thanks in advance guys. IMG-20220819-WA0011.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
Definitely a male, and a very good looking one at that.
To introduce a mate, it would be best to get a group of females and let him choose. Forced pairs frequently don’t work out.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Welcome, I agree that is a male.
One thing I observe is that he seems to be developing hole-in the head disease. This can have many causes, from consistently high levels of nitrates and dissolved organice ("dirty water"), to incorrect parameters, to hexamita parasites.
I would try to figure out the cause, sometimes this can be reversed without direct treatment, simply by fixing what issue is causing it. My questions would be= what is your water change schedule like, what are your nitrate measurements before water change day, what is your pH and hardness?

Deepsynthsec

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2022
Welcome, I agree that is a male.
One thing I observe is that he seems to be developing hole-in the head disease. This can have many causes, from consistently high levels of nitrates and dissolved organice ("dirty water"), to incorrect parameters, to hexamita parasites.
I would try to figure out the cause, sometimes this can be reversed without direct treatment, simply by fixing what issue is causing it. My questions would be= what is your water change schedule like, what are your nitrate measurements before water change day, what is your pH and hardness?
Thank you for the response.

He is in a 200l tank with 3 Cory's.

Canister filter with lots of bio media.

I do 30% - 50% water changes per week.

Ph coming out the tap is between 7.5 and 8.5 can't reliably say as it's South Africa.

I need to get a full proper test kit they are just seriously expensive. With have a 50% customs duty on most imports.

I am super stressed now. Is this going to be a hard thing to treat. ?

Deepsynthsec

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2022
Thank you so much for all the awesome replies. I can see I'm going to enjoy being part of the community.

So my thoughts would be to get a few females and grow them in another tank for a while to get them to a decent size and them maybe use a tank divider for a month and then see what happens.

Thoughts on this. ?

Deepsynthsec

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2022
Yes
Your lfs will test your water for a small fee.
If I take 4 samples of water ( after water change, two during the week and one just before a water change)

Will the water remain in a testable state, meaning if I store water to test will it replicate the same readings a week later ?

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store