Help figuring out plumbing for my 180

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
You saw my diy sump. It works great. The wet dry is kinda loud though. But the efficiency of it is beyond compare. You could easily turn it in to a normal sump setup with everything submerged and it would be quieter, enough to go under your stand.
I think also that expensive sump vs cheep diy sump is just looks.

Reactions: DRteugelsi

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
The point of the airline is to allow the system to pull air into the overflow (by staying above the water level in the overflow box). This will keep the system from choking/loud gurgling sounds. I have a hybrid bean animal setup with no overflow box (do not do this) so have tested the concept extensively.

In regards to plumbing: it's best to keep things simple, buy schedule 40 from your local hardware store. This way when you need a new piece its a quick trip and not waiting on shipping.

Secondly use a lot of unions (for a 180 I would plan on four). Plumb from one location to the union, from that to the next.

I always plumb in 1.5" when possible. It's a great size, flow rate and you can keep things quiet. For a 180 you should be good to go with 1.5" lines.

Forgive me if I missed it, what pump are you using? Internal or external (inside sump or outside)?

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
The point of the airline is to allow the system to pull air into the overflow (by staying above the water level in the overflow box). This will keep the system from choking/loud gurgling sounds. I have a hybrid bean animal setup with no overflow box (do not do this) so have tested the concept extensively.

In regards to plumbing: it's best to keep things simple, buy schedule 40 from your local hardware store. This way when you need a new piece its a quick trip and not waiting on shipping.

Secondly use a lot of unions (for a 180 I would plan on four). Plumb from one location to the union, from that to the next.

I always plumb in 1.5" when possible. It's a great size, flow rate and you can keep things quiet. For a 180 you should be good to go with 1.5" lines.

Forgive me if I missed it, what pump are you using? Internal or external (inside sump or outside)?
So, you recommend against the overflow box? like in the ghost or shadow? I havent heard any bad things about them so i am curious. I am trying to keep things as simple as possible. and i just figured i would gain surface skimming and it would allow for easier set up as well?

What purpose does the multiple unions serve?

I will probably be using a dart/snapper reeflo pump (not too bugged by the noise).

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
So, you recommend against the overflow box? like in the ghost or shadow? I havent heard any bad things about them so i am curious. I am trying to keep things as simple as possible. and i just figured i would gain surface skimming and it would allow for easier set up as well?

What purpose does the multiple unions serve?

I will probably be using a dart/snapper reeflo pump (not too bugged by the noise).
Absolutely use an overflow box. I would never recommend anyone not use a box. I tried it and am not a fan of how risky it would be set up wrong, hence my comment not do it. You want the flexibility overflows bring.

I have never used the shadow but considered ordering the one from Synergy. I may still do that when I get around to that tank.

Unions thread together easily but keep things water tight. It makes plumbing in manageable chunks much easier and final assembly a couple minute job. It also allows you to take it apart after everything is solvent welded to repair, replace or upgrade plumbing, pumps etc... Great choice on the Reeflo. From a value perspective, unions are to plumbing, what a sump is to filtration, if that makes sense.

Edit w/Example: the union is attached to the bulkhead under the stand. It’s the top piece. I plumbed everything to that location then simply thread it together. This system has a few certain angles I had to hit to max out flow (flex PVC is a great option to elbows but requires some skill) due to sump location.

E8650EE3-AA37-4039-A5F6-DD52BC27B54E.jpeg

Reactions: DRteugelsi

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Absolutely use an overflow box. I would never recommend anyone not use a box. I tried it and am not a fan of how risky it would be set up wrong, hence my comment not do it. You want the flexibility overflows bring.

I have never used the shadow but considered ordering the one from Synergy. I may still do that when I get around to that tank.

Unions thread together easily but keep things water tight. It makes plumbing in manageable chunks much easier and final assembly a couple minute job. It also allows you to take it apart after everything is solvent welded to repair, replace or upgrade plumbing, pumps etc... Great choice on the Reeflo. From a value perspective, unions are to plumbing, what a sump is to filtration, if that makes sense.
Okay so basically it makes plumbing more manageable and easier to maintain right?
And also to clarify are you saying four per stand pipe?

The Shadow by synergy is the one im looking at. they also have some non branded ones on ebay that are made in the US that look pretty slick as well. The plus is they're already set up for a 1.5" plumbing. Would you recommend i use more than one or should that be plenty?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Okay so basically it makes plumbing more manageable and easier to maintain right?
And also to clarify are you saying four per stand pipe?

The Shadow by synergy is the one im looking at. they also have some non branded ones on ebay that are made in the US that look pretty slick as well. The plus is they're already set up for a 1.5" plumbing. Would you recommend i use more than one or should that be plenty?
Four unions is just an estimate to how many I would expect to buy if I were plumbing a 180. One overflow is plenty for a 180. Especially at 1.5”. Four unions total. May come out to two or six. Who knows.

If you go hold a couple pieces together for dry fit/mock up you’ll quickly see that you need a union to bring two pieces together at a a minimum of one point in the system. Plumbing without one usually results in a mess.

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Four unions is just an estimate to how many I would expect to buy if I were plumbing a 180. One overflow is plenty for a 180. Especially at 1.5”. Four unions total. May come out to two or six. Who knows.

If you go hold a couple pieces together for dry fit/mock up you’ll quickly see that you need a union to bring two pieces together at a a minimum of one point in the system. Plumbing without one usually results in a mess.

From what i gather there has to be a union from the overflow box to the pipe going into the pump at some point.

Now as for the return pipe to the aquarium from the sump should i do one or two on each side? and does pipe size matter as much in this case?

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Also, what kind of return should i go with, spray bar, nozzle, etc?

I know i sound like a complete noob but i just want to get all these questions out of the way and do everything the right way because if i did run into a huge disaster my wife would never let me live it down lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store