Help figuring out plumbing for my 180

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
With any of those overflows you have 3 pipes going down to your sump. To allow for later easier plumbing changes you could install a union on each pipe at some point that makes sense to you and the design you come up with. Your plumbing is going to depend on a couple things where you install your overflow, the size and placment of your sump, the design of the sump, and of course the height of the stand. Same goes for return pump I would also put a ball valve on either side of the return pump one on the sump side and one after the pump. Unions for each side will help also if you have to change out the pump.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Man i cant stress how much i love unions. Put in as many as you can sensibly add.

I used loc lines and a pvc fitting for my returns. But you can do something as simple as a few elbows and a small lenght of pvc.

You can also look into a true union check valve (installed at the pump) a little pricey but i like them along with drilling a siphon break.

I think im at 14 unions counting the union check valves. If i had room i would have put a couple on the e drain line. When i had the flood and had to move the tank the unions were an absolute life saver

20180115_164946.jpg 20180115_164953.jpg 20180115_164714.jpg 20180115_164709.jpg 20180115_164845.jpg 20180115_164835.jpg 20180115_164654.jpg 20180115_164658.jpg

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I got the idea for.my return from ragin cajun there are lots of ideas out there

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Man i cant stress how much i love unions. Put in as many as you can sensibly add.

I used loc lines and a pvc fitting for my returns. But you can do something as simple as a few elbows and a small lenght of pvc.

You can also look into a true union check valve (installed at the pump) a little pricey but i like them along with drilling a siphon break.

I think im at 14 unions counting the union check valves. If i had room i would have put a couple on the e drain line. When i had the flood and had to move the tank the unions were an absolute life saver

View attachment 1294236 View attachment 1294237 View attachment 1294238 View attachment 1294239 View attachment 1294240 View attachment 1294241 View attachment 1294242 View attachment 1294243
What are you using to cover your sump. My 8month old is in the crawling/pulling up stage and he has taken a keen interest In the bubbles that the sponge filter in my sump creates. I wan to see if there is something cheap that I can cover it with to keep his hands out without spending $50 on manufacture glass tops. It’s a aqueon 40 breeder BTW

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
What are you using to cover your sump. My 8month old is in the crawling/pulling up stage and he has taken a keen interest In the bubbles that the sponge filter in my sump creates. I wan to see if there is something cheap that I can cover it with to keep his hands out without spending $50 on manufacture glass tops. It’s a aqueon 40 breeder BTW
They are strips of glass with adhesive coat hangers for handles.

You can get the glass for dirt cheap from ace hardware.

I might wanna go a different route though. Id hate for the baby to smash the glass and get hurt.

You could pick up some Corrugated Plastic Sheets from lowes or hd. I did that on another sump and liked it better. Much easier to cut

Reactions: DRteugelsi

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio

View attachment 1294236 View attachment 1294237 View attachment 1294238 View attachment 1294239 View attachment 1294240 View attachment 1294241 View attachment 1294242 View attachment 1294243
Awesome that clears up a few things. I think I’ve got a pretty good idea of how I want to do it at this point plumbing wise between all the info here and the places you guys have pointed me to. I think I was over complicating it. By a lol

Now I just have to figure out what I am going to do with the sump and what kind of returns I should do

They are strips of glass with adhesive coat hangers for handles.

You can get the glass for dirt cheap from ace hardware.

I might wanna go a different route though. Id hate for the baby to smash the glass and get hurt.

You could pick up some Corrugated Plastic Sheets from lowes or hd. I did that on another sump and liked it better. Much easier to cut
I agree, the corrugated roofing plastic is great easy to use and cut and if the little one gets ahold of it you won’t have to worry about him getting hurt. Personally I’m just going to put a baby proofed on my stand doors.

Reactions: JK47

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
By the way I’ve read that using rigid pipe on the return could cause a lot of noise. Anybody have this problem? Should I just go with non-rigid pipe? I’m not too worried about it but I also don’t want it to sound like I’m running a lawn mower in my dining room.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
By the way I’ve read that using rigid pipe on the return could cause a lot of noise. Anybody have this problem? Should I just go with non-rigid pipe? I’m not too worried about it but I also don’t want it to sound like I’m running a lawn mower in my dining room.
It can transmit vibration. I use a piece of vinyl hose in between the pipes works as a union too. You have to put hose barbs in but they are cheeper then the unions.

Reactions: DRteugelsi and JK47

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
I was initially going to go with a ghost overflow before my build and then decided on having external overfows built on my acrylic tank from the builder. Rigid pipe is not a problem. In the first day or two you will notice noise but that is just becuase there are pockets of air in the line. Once that is pushed out it will be completly silent. Only thing you will hear will be your pumps. Listen to JK47 JK47 J jaws7777 they both helped me a ton. I followed Jaws build on mine and did a few things differently. Take a look through both of out builds and you will see. Also unions for everything! They make everything so much easier. Also Flex PVC pipe is pretty sweet and makes things a little easier if you dont want to worry about cutting pvc

Reactions: DRteugelsi and JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
From what i gather there has to be a union from the overflow box to the pipe going into the pump at some point.

Now as for the return pipe to the aquarium from the sump should i do one or two on each side? and does pipe size matter as much in this case?
Also, what kind of return should i go with, spray bar, nozzle, etc?

I know i sound like a complete noob but i just want to get all these questions out of the way and do everything the right way because if i did run into a huge disaster my wife would never let me live it down lol
You can do whatever you like for returns. It is really up to preference as long as it is water tight and meant to handle light pressure. I prefer Loc-Line. It is 3/4" which is a common and easy size in PVC to work with, cheap too. If you go this route you can reuse them on future builds. I have a box full at this point (plumbing one tonight actually)...

The returns from the pump (make sure there is a union here) back up to the tank can be one larger line, two smaller lines or my favorite, 1.5" line stepped down at the tank wall to 3/4" with Loc-Line in the main display.

The PVC diameter is important here. Anything small restricts flow. I prefer 1.5" plubming for as much as possible with Reeflo pumps. Then stepped down to the return. With a Reeflo you can add a few extra restrictions without the same loss as some lesser pump models.

Some examples for you of a simple return. I can go through the back wall of the tank (my preference) so this is the next best alternative.

IMG_3052.jpg IMG_3060.jpg IMG_3085.jpg IMG_3088.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store