Help figuring out plumbing for my 180

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I was initially going to go with a ghost overflow before my build and then decided on having external overfows built on my acrylic tank from the builder. Rigid pipe is not a problem. In the first day or two you will notice noise but that is just becuase there are pockets of air in the line. Once that is pushed out it will be completly silent. Only thing you will hear will be your pumps. Listen to JK47 JK47 J jaws7777 they both helped me a ton. I followed Jaws build on mine and did a few things differently. Take a look through both of out builds and you will see. Also unions for everything! They make everything so much easier. Also Flex PVC pipe is pretty sweet and makes things a little easier if you dont want to worry about cutting pvc
Thanks for the kind words man. Always appreciate hearing success stories.

Reactions: jvc66

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thought I was in over my head at the beginning but you and a few others got me through! Once I get into rays in the future ill know who to bug next lol
Everyone feels that way at first. I swear there is an "ah ha" moment when the concept clicks and it's easy street from there.

We'll get you sorted DRteugelsi DRteugelsi ! If you can post pics of under the stand, the sump I/we can help you design a proper monster.

Reactions: jaws7777

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Everyone feels that way at first. I swear there is an "ah ha" moment when the concept clicks and it's easy street from there.

We'll get you sorted DRteugelsi DRteugelsi ! If you can post pics of under the stand, the sump I/we can help you design a proper monster.

Thanks I for sure will I’ll probably be getting it all late next month. Plus I think once I have it all in front of me it will make more sense.

On a side note I picked up a drilled 125 last night for free (it was supposed to be a 180 they even said it was 2 feet wide. It wasnt) so I will probably see about trading it in for a little bit of cash back toward my 180 or just sale.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thanks I for sure will I’ll probably be getting it all late next month. Plus I think once I have it all in front of me it will make more sense.

On a side note I picked up a drilled 125 last night for free (it was supposed to be a 180 they even said it was 2 feet wide. It wasnt) so I will probably see about trading it in for a little bit of cash back toward my 180 or just sale.
Nice! If you have extra room to store it, hang on to that setup. Those are really nice to have around especially if it is acrylic.

Reactions: DRteugelsi

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
By the way I’ve read that using rigid pipe on the return could cause a lot of noise. Anybody have this problem? Should I just go with non-rigid pipe? I’m not too worried about it but I also don’t want it to sound like I’m running a lawn mower in my dining room.
Nah just air. Mine did it for a few hrs. Like jvc66 said once everything is dialed in its totally silent.

Man thats soo true. It took me forever to get it. I even did a couple of hob ovetflow builds just to get the hang of it. It took a vid of ragin_cajun ragin_cajun setup for me to get my "ah ha" moment

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Nah just air. Mine did it for a few hrs. Like jvc66 said once everything is dialed in its totally silent.

Man thats soo true. It took me forever to get it. I even did a couple of hob ovetflow builds just to get the hang of it. It took a vid of ragin_cajun ragin_cajun setup for me to get my "ah ha" moment

I feel like I had the same exact same happen to me earlier. I know I don’t have any of it set up but I was just looking at some of J jaws7777 pics he posted and it all just clicked and made sense plumbing wise. I’m still trying to figure out what to do sump wise (probably K1) but other than that I feel pretty confident about it now

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Nice! If you have extra room to store it, hang on to that setup. Those are really nice to have around especially if it is acrylic.
Unfortunately, it is not acrylic. Also, I’m not even sure if it holds water. But like I said if need be I can just sale it and use it as money towards the 180.

The house doesn’t have the capicity to handle more than 1 100+ gallon tank so, it’s one or the other for me. I can’t wait to upgrade to a larger house. But it’ll probably be another 2-3 years.

Reactions: JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I feel like I had the same exact same happen to me earlier. I know I don’t have any of it set up but I was just looking at some of J jaws7777 pics he posted and it all just clicked and made sense plumbing wise. I’m still trying to figure out what to do sump wise (probably K1) but other than that I feel pretty confident about it now
Glad to hear it’s coming together. If I can also make one more suggestion for the Reeflo. If budget allows go true union ball valves for inlet and outlet. The ball valve is another component a lot of folks regret not having down the road. I won’t run a pump without them.

7ECE4DDB-9A61-4C22-81BE-1E2E33117487.jpeg B0CED80F-2D77-49FD-B7AA-1C556DD1AE5C.jpeg 72C9CF8C-1CF5-4348-AEBD-7658AE7A78EA.jpeg

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
They are strips of glass with adhesive coat hangers for handles.

You can get the glass for dirt cheap from ace hardware.

I might wanna go a different route though. Id hate for the baby to smash the glass and get hurt.

You could pick up some Corrugated Plastic Sheets from lowes or hd. I did that on another sump and liked it better. Much easier to cut
Good stuff thanks. I’ve looked into it and could only find a huge sheet of it. I’ll try again or just bite the bullet on buying the larger sheet. When I turn my pump back on I’m noticing the first pit of water/air that gets pushed out has debris in it. How often do folks clean their return lines? I have vinyl going from the pump to the bulkhead. I’ve cleaned the rigid pvc after the bulkhead and that didn’t change anything so i assume the buildup is in the vynil

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store