Help! I can't stop this!

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
It's such a difficult situation you're dealing with; an unidentified disease, unresponsive to available meds.
Where certain tankmates are apparently unaffected, but those who are die a swift ugly death.
Maybe it would be better to implement a "Cut & Run" strategy. Remove the obvious infected fish and try to save the rest. Raising the temp. Will only speed up the life cycle of the Ick parasite "If it is Ick" not kill it. Warmer water will likely accelerate a bacterial problem; "If it's a bacteria".
IMO, several thorough gravel vacs a week, to dilute what ever pathengen population your dealing with might be the best option. I'm sure not an easy task with a really big tank.
Good luck.
Thanks. I appreciate it and that's the path I'm taking. Almost half the tank is wiped out but now it's stabilizing. Crazy that just certain species were affected and others had no problems. I would have thought the hatchets and discus would have been done but they have shown no ill effects.

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Here is a bad case of ick.

It was cured without raising the temp, simply using salt.
Salinity must must be at least 3ppt (per thousand) or it is not effective, this is at least 2.5 lbs of salt per 100 gallons.
I do not use the tsp per gallon method, for my system, it is poured by by the pound.
The problem I have with heat is that bacteria thrive at temps in the 80s, and the openings ick leave on the fish are perfect spots for bacteria to attach, and infect.
The angel in the pic looks to have a bacterial infection (and as stated could be columnaris, which becomes especially virulent at temps above 82'F)
Some people have had success using an antibiotic effective against gram neg bacteria.
Rather than take the chance of having it spread to my other tanks, I usually euthanize all fish in the columnaris tank, and bleach it, and everything that came into contact with it.
I know a bit drastic, but columnaris can go dormant and survive in damp dust for months, only to reappear if not totally eradicated.
Duanes, when you use bleach how do you insure it's safe to use the tank, equipment again with fish. I have my pythons and nets soaking in a bleach bath now.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Bleach will oxidize after a few days. But to be sure....there are chlorine test strips available used for measuring chlorine in swimming pools, some that measure down to 1ppm.
There are some fish, that after having had previous exposure, develop a semi-immunity to ick, and other maladies. The problem in tanks though, is that with the limiled area of a tank, even these fish become infected over time due to the epidemic proportions in a confined space, and compared to nature, even 300 + gallons is a small space.

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Bleach will oxidize after a few days. But to be sure....there are chlorine test strips available used for measuring chlorine in swimming pools, some that measure down to 1ppm.
There are some fish, that after having had previous exposure, develop a semi-immunity to ick, and other maladies. The problem in tanks though, is that with the limiled area of a tank, even these fish become infected over time due to the epidemic proportions in a confined space, and compared to nature, even 300 + gallons is a small space.
Makes sense. Thanks Duanes. Sorry for all he back and forth. That said after the tank is asymtomatic I don’t plan on introducing any new fish for months. Is there a timeline you feel would be safe to add fish after the current fish showing no symptoms?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In the last pic, it actually does look like it really is ick.
fullsizeoutput_802.jpeg
I wouldn't add fish for two months, although what I would suggest, is setting up a quarantine tank for any new fish, and quarantining them for two months before adding any new fish to the main tank.
It can take that long, for any disease carried by a new fish to manifest visible symptoms
And while in quarantine, add a little water from your main tank every day. In that way the new fish become acclimated to the tank they will go into, and just in case any pathogen your older fish have become immune to, that the new fish are not.
A friend of mine (who runs an aquatic exhibit at a zoo), quarantines all new fish, at minimum 6 months before adding to the main display aquarium.

Reactions: jandb

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
View attachment 1312851
I wouldn't add fish for two months, although what I would suggest, is setting up a quarantine tank for any new fish, and quarantining them for two months before adding any new fish to the main tank.
It can take that long, for any disease carried by a new fish to manifest visible symptoms
And while in quarantine, add a little water from your main tank every day. In that way the new fish become acclimated to the tank they will go into, and just in case any pathogen your older fish have become immune to, that the new fish are not.
A friend of mine (who runs an aquatic exhibit at a zoo), quarantines all new fish, at minimum 6 months before adding to the main display aquarium.
Thanks Duanes. Somehow I missed this post. I was going to ask the questions you answered!

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
View attachment 1312851
Here’s one other random thought. I use 3 different pythons to clean tanks. I’ve run bleach through each one. I’m concerned a stray drop or spray from one could have contaminated another. The only access to water I have is from one laundry sink. Do you just do your best with stuff like that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store