Help me get started in this awesome hobby.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
So my wife wants some pictus catfish how would I go about making sure I get ones that would get over 5"(I know there are 2 species one gets 4"-5" the other up to 10") I don't want to get one that a bull head or eclipse would just end up eating or is a 5" fish big enough that they wouldn't eat them?
Get columbian pictus,1 yellow bullhead(not black or brown bullheads as they can be slightly evil),and 1 eclipse catfish

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
So my wife wants some pictus catfish how would I go about making sure I get ones that would get over 5"(I know there are 2 species one gets 4"-5" the other up to 10") I don't want to get one that a bull head or eclipse would just end up eating or is a 5" fish big enough that they wouldn't eat them?
Get columbian pictus,1 yellow bullhead(not black or brown bullheads as they can be slightly evil),and 1 eclipse catfish

Beast020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
ok probaly back to sunfish than.

I'm not sure on the yellow bull head any more i know they "can" get to 16" and I have no idea when I will be able to upgrade to a bigger tank (probably years from now)

Is the 16" one of those thing like a Large mouth can get to 3' 20lbs but you really don not see it often?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
ok probaly back to sunfish than.

I'm not sure on the yellow bull head any more i know they "can" get to 16" and I have no idea when I will be able to upgrade to a bigger tank (probably years from now)

Is the 16" one of those thing like a Large mouth can get to 3' 20lbs but you really don not see it often?
Seven inches is more typical for yellow bullheads, even in captivity.

Moontanman Moontanman keeps these guys

Reactions: Beast020

Beast020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
Ok so after more back and forth with my wife and going to some LFS there is a new selection of fish.

AquStockImage.png

So my new question is what is my best option for a filter? My original plan was to get an FX6 but my wife said that is to expensive. If a FX6 is still my best bet I can do that it'll just take me longer to get it.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Ok so after more back and forth with my wife and going to some LFS there is a new selection of fish.

View attachment 1329908

So my new question is what is my best option for a filter? My original plan was to get an FX6 but my wife said that is to expensive. If a FX6 is still my best bet I can do that it'll just take me longer to get it.

try find a used fxmodel on craigs i lucked w/mine at $100. could go w/ something more affordable now though w/out upgrade may need to add a 2nd or even third level of filtration later as they grow, for now any amazon or ebay brand w/ similar capacity is good just look at reviews & see what works for u.

Reactions: Beast020
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store