Help me get started in this awesome hobby.

Beast020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
I was just about to recommend a sunsun! Several members use them but I can't remember who
Yea im pretty sure I am going to start with one of these and I can all ways add more later as mentioned in a previous post. I don't plan on upgrading to a bigger tank for a few years so should work pretty well till then.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
If it were me I'd use this filter https://www.ebay.com/itm/MarineLand-Emperor-Filter-Systems-400B-400-GPH-/323012071987

One at each end of the tank, putting them on the end makes for a more natural flow and keeps the fish swimming side on instead of front to back. Except for the green terror the rest of the fish are nocturnal and will seldom be seen. I am a North American Native Fish guy. and seldom keep much in the way of tropical fish NANFA http://forum.nanfa.org/ How ever yellow bullheads give up their nocturnal habits quite quickly and even feed from the surface. The possibilities for NA native fishes is almost endless and you get to catch them yourself! They can be bought at http://jonahsaquarium.com/JonahSite/fishlist.htm and others. Jonah is a great source and if you join NANFA you can trade fish with people who get some really odd things.

Up to you of course, I do things a bit different than most, I use black sand, sponge pre-filters on my filter intakes, live plants and I am wild about sturgeons, catfish, redfin pickerels, bluespotted sunfish, jump rock suckers, silversides, flounders... well the list is very long...

Beast020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
So I have a new direction to my tank. Less for me and more for my wife and daughter.

Give me your thoughts on these 2 load outs? I know the selections is kinda allover the place but i think they should be entertaining for my family.

AquStockImage option 1.png AquStockImage option 2.png

The reason I agreed to this is I will have my 50 Gal I can have a wet pet of my own choice.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
So I have a new direction to my tank. Less for me and more for my wife and daughter.

Give me your thoughts on these 2 load outs? I know the selections is kinda allover the place but i think they should be entertaining for my family.

View attachment 1333536 View attachment 1333537

The reason I agreed to this is I will have my 50 Gal I can have a wet pet of my own choice.
Go with the second stock

Reactions: Beast020

Beast020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
ok just a quick update.

Got the glue I need to fix my aquarium hope to start cleaning it up tonight.

also the wife and I have a final stocking list hasn't changed much from my last post.

AquStockImage FINAL.png

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Depends on if your green terror is mean or not IMO. Green terror might decide it doesn't want to live with all those little friendly fish. Replacing green terror with a blue acara would make it a more sure bet.
I see you said the 50 gallon would be for wet pet of your dreams, any ideas so far? 50 would be too small for many of the common "wet pets" like midas/red devil, parachormis, etc. Could house a male cabuya convict, that would probably be biggest fish I'd keep in a 50 for life.

And I have used the SunSun canister filter. I had it for a couple years and had zero problems with it, I liked mine. However I know a couple members have posted that theirs sprang leaks.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store