HELP!! my jewel hasn't eaten for a month!!!

Jakec96

Exodon
MFK Member
May 8, 2016
New Jersey
This is my 3rd time posting on this forum about my jewel and I really didn't get any help on this issue. My jewel cichlid hasn't eatin for a month and I really don't know what to do I tried an Epsom salt bath twice and nothing changed hes getting very skinny. The water perameters are perfect and I'm doing big weekly water changes. I have another jewel in the tank with him and I was told they could be breeding and jewels don't pay much attention to food during this time and that this is normal. But they are not breeding and I don't think a month without eating is normal. He's scratching on the rocks, breathing heavy and seems to be coughing or chewing on something when I know their is nothing in his mouth. I'm running out of options here. I just put him in a breeder box so I can keep a closer watch on him. I don't have an extra tank that I could use as a hospital. Should i try to force feed him?? PLEASE SOMEONE SHED SOME LIGHT!!

Last edited:

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
sorry there is a lot that can cause these signs. Please post the above info as asked
In the meantime have you looked in to the mouth to see if she is chewing on something? Could have an obstructive oral tumor or foreign material stuck in there.

Jakec96

Exodon
MFK Member
May 8, 2016
New Jersey
sorry there is a lot that can cause these signs. Please post the above info as asked
In the meantime have you looked in to the mouth to see if she is chewing on something? Could have an obstructive oral tumor or foreign material stuck in there.
I just checked in his mouth and he has a huge tumor!!! What do I do??

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I just checked in his mouth and he has a huge tumor!!! What do I do??
sorry about this. figured he was chewing for a reason. Hate to say you don't have great options 1)bring to a vet and see if they can treat 2) humane euthanasia 3) shot gun him with antibiotics. If there is a secondary infection she might improve for a bit

Jakec96

Exodon
MFK Member
May 8, 2016
New Jersey
sorry about this. figured he was chewing for a reason. Hate to say you don't have great options 1)bring to a vet and see if they can treat 2) humane euthanasia 3) shot gun him with antibiotics. If there is a secondary infection she might improve for a bit
I was planning on removing it myself and using clove oil to sedate him. So I ordered a bottle with overnight shipping because nobody in my area has clove oil, and unfortunately my package got delayed until this Thursday. Now he just died today :,(

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Coralee

Feeder Fish
May 5, 2017
I have a very sick midus cichlid and it's not letting me post a thread. Sorry to bug this one but I don't know what to do. I have been contacted the site twice with no response.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
I have a very sick midus cichlid and it's not letting me post a thread. Sorry to bug this one but I don't know what to do. I have been contacted the site twice with no response.
Pictures of the fish, tank, other tank mates, etc... and actual water parameters at least, will improve response rate. There is a sticky post on how to post requests for help.

We can't help you if we don't know what's going on...

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ealth-diagnostics-read-before-posting.210102/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store