Help Needed Urgent

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Does it look healthy
Looking from that photo he seems healthy, I can’t visibly see any signs of illness. He doesn’t seem to have any ich, I can’t see any lesions so he likely doesn’t have HITH, he doesn’t appear to be skinny which counts out some internal parasites (not all but most cause a fish to get skinny). He also has nice coloration. My guess is he is probably just moping because he was recently moved. Nothing to worry about

Reactions: Krismo962

Zosharf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2021
Ok, it might be a little heavy on the flow then. But can you answer these questions because there might be another issue here.

1. Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is
2. If yes, did you cycle your tank
3. How big is the tank
Idk what nitrogen cycle is the tank is around 3 feet long and 2 feet wide

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
If he is still not eating by Saturday let me know (and BTW, even if he isn’t eating by Saturday I still wouldn’t freak out, just let me know)

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Sounds like a 90g,3 x 2 x 2 is it? Plenty enough for an adult fh. These videos will help out :
Since you already have the fish ,your only option is a fish in cycle (if you don't have access to seeded media) -

Zosharf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2021
If he is still not eating by Saturday let me know (and BTW, even if he isn’t eating by Saturday I still wouldn’t freak out, just let me know)
It was last fed on Sunday from the shop I bought it from they fed it then bagged it up

Zosharf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2021
There was barrel inside but it was inside there 24/7 so I removed it should I put it back

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Ok, so my guess is that you did not cycle your tank. That is going to be an issue and could be why he isn’t eating. Here is a quick crash course on the nitrogen cycle but I’d recommend you further research it.

The nitrogen cycle is what makes us able to keep fish in aquariums. Essentially the cycle itself is breaking down ammonia (which comes from fish poop) into nitrite and eventually down into nitrate. Ammonia is deadly toxic to fish even in small amounts and the only way to break it down is to build up a team of beneficial bacteria (Which is what you do when you cycle a tank). Nitrite is also very toxic to fish, however it’s not quite as bad as ammonia, and nitrate is only toxic is very high levels. In order to build up a team of BB you have to add ammonia to a tank over the course of months and test your water to see when it will begin to break down into nitrate. When you get it to the point that all you see is nitrate and no ammonia then your tank is cycled and you can add fish. Now you can cycle a tank with a fish however that fish would be in danger from ammonia spikes. You remove nitrates by doing water changes (which should be done weekly).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store